New Obedience club & “Dancing in the Church”

Well, I have been doing lots of training and practice in the last few weeks for today…my doggie dancing demo!

Mostly, my human, Hsin-Yi, has been doing trainings with me in the park on my daily walks…but she also found a very nice Obedience club for us to join. It is called the Metropolitan Dog Obedience Club and they are very nice and friendly there and don’t mind that I am not a Border Collie or German Shepherd or other working breed.

Hsin-Yi was very happy to find a friendly obedience club which welcomes “different” doggies because she was very upset back in Auckland when she heard some people at our obedience club there saying nasty things about me being big & slow and that my Heeling was a “disgrace”! 8-O Hsin-Yi thinks it is very unfair because those people only ever trained super-fast, hyper working breed doggies and have no idea how difficult it is for us placid, giant breeds to learn things and do them quickly. She says it is like somebody driving up a mountain in a 4-wheel drive laughing at someone pedalling a bicycle! :evil: So we left that club and never went back.

But now that we are in a new country, Hsin-Yi hoped to find a nice club for us to join so that I can continue my Obedience and maybe even do some trials…so we’re so happy to find a nice club at last!

We haven’t joined any classes yet but we have been going just to do trainings by ourselves. It is so hot in Brisbane, I get very tired and panty and don’t feel like doing anything  much in the day…so it’s good to have somewhere to do trainings at night when it is a lot cooler!

Here is a short video so you can see me doing trainings – I usually practise some of my Obedience exercises, like Heeling and the Retrieve, and then I practise some of my dancing – and then Hsin-Yi plays a fun tug game with me! :D

* Hsin-Yi was telling me not to run in the video because I’m still supposed to be on my “6- weeks rest” from the vet!

Earlier this week, Hsin-Yi took my new soft crate to the club on our training night because she wanted me to practise staying in it in a strange place (and because she wanted to practise carrying it! Hee! Hee! Hsin-Yi is a bit grumpy about it because she is very short and my crate is so big and heavy, even folded up, so she doesn’t know how to carry it! :lol: ).

Also, I don’t like people walking past me, if I am behind a ‘barrier’ (I am fine if I am just lying on my bed or blanket) – sometimes, I jump up and do Grumpy Barking – but Hsin-Yi gets really annoyed when I do this – she says it is very rude and I must learn to lie calmly in my crate, even when other people pass me. So that night, lots of different people walked past my crate, some with their dogs, and I stayed calm – and Hsin-Yi made the CLICK noise and gave me a treat each time – which means I was a good girl! :D

Anyway, so after all this practice – we were all ready for today!

The ‘doggie dancing’ demo was in the Creek Rd Presbyterian Church and there were lots of other dancing doggies from the Dances With Dogs (DWD) Club Queensland there too.

It was a VERY hot and sunny day today – Hsin-Yi put my cool coat on me so that I would not overheat (otherwise, if I get too hot and panty, I just feel very tired and can’t do anything!) and she wished she had a cool coat for herself too, because she got very hot and panty herself carrying my crate and all our stuff from the car into the church, in the hot sun! :P

They made a space for us doggies at the back of the church…and it was the first time I stayed alone in my crate outside of home!

Then it was time for us to do our dancing! Hsin-Yi was feeling very stressy because I did so badly the last time we performed, which was at that doggie dancing camp back in Jan…but I did well today! :P

I did get a bit lost in the middle and forgot Hsin-Yi was there and was busy looking at all the interesting people sitting around us…but after a bit, I remembered I was supposed to be dancing and I could hear Hsin-Yi calling me – so I quickly went back to her!

It was also a bit tight and squishy for me so I didn’t dare do my big Trotting in a Circle trick. See, I need LOTS of space to do any fast running moves and although the space was big enough for the other doggies, it didn’t feel big enough for me!

But Hsin-Yi said that was OK and she was happy that I did pretty well.

*Sorry for the rubbish small pictures of me dancing – Paul could not come today to be Camera Man because it is a Working Week Day and so there was nobody to help take videos or photos! Hsin-Yi asked one of the other dancing doggie humans to help but they had a problem with our camera so they only videoed half my routine! :( So those photos are just “stills” from the little bit of video. But the one of me & Hsin-Yi is a good photo taken by the self-timer! :P

After all the dancing was finished, they asked us doggies to go say hello to everybody. It was like doing a Therapy Dog Visit! I love saying hello to people and getting cuddles!

Except it was awfully hard to ignore all the yummy food on the tables! All the other doggies are much shorter but it was JUST at the same level as my nose and mouth – and everytime I went near the tables to say hello to people, I wanted so much to taste the yummy food on their plates! ;)

But Hsin-Yi kept telling me “Leave It!” so I had to be good (sob!)

But some of the people were nice and saved some of their sandwiches for me! :D

I got really good at catching the yummies! :P

I was also a bit naughty because when one of the ladies who was giving me yummies asked me to Shake Paws and then didn’t give me the yummy in her hand, I decided to just jump up and help myself! ;) Hsin-Yi was very annoyed with me and said that was terrible rude behaviour. But – that lady had been giving me lots of yummies already and she was holding it just in front of my nose – why shouldn’t I just help myself? Humph! :evil:

Well, after a lot of pats and cuddles (and cake and sandwiches), it was time to go home…

Hsin-Yi had a bad Head Pain Sickie – because she had been stressy all morning and was very tired from carrying my crate and all our stuff – then doing dancing with me – and all the time watching me with the other doggies so we don’t get grumpy with each other (because we don’t know each other and aren’t friends yet but we have to stay together in a small space!) – and then making sure I was being a well-behaved doggie when I went around the tables to say hello…!  Also, whenever it is very sunny and bright and hot, she starts to feel sickie (like something called “sunstroke”) – and she was so busy looking after me that she forgot to drink any water…

So when we got home, she was very grumpy and said that we will not do anymore dancing performances unless Paul can come to help because there are too many things for her to do by herself and she feels too stressy.

Well anyway – I had an exciting fun morning! :P

* Still trying to get round to visit you all – please bear with us!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to New Obedience club & “Dancing in the Church”

1. Wow Honey, you need to tell your mom to at least have Paul put the crate in the car the night before. That thing looks heavy. It would squish me if it fell on me bol!! My mom understands about the head and heat sickies. Tell Hsin-Yi she better stay hydrated next time!!

From the pictures and descriptions it looks like you did a great job! I'm glad you had fun and got lots of treats. Sorry it took me so long to catch up on reading your blog. And just because I'm caught up now doesn't mean I'll stay that way lol.

Jackal

2. Honey be sure to tell your mom to take care of herself. It gets hot like that here in Texas too and mom and Dad make sure to drink plenty of Water. I think you did wonderful and made lots of people happy.

Don't worry about visiting we will all still be here when you get a chance to visit.

Boxer love
    Boxen and Bella

3. Honey – You are such a beautiful girl! I wish you lived in Chicago because I just know we would have SO MUCH FUN playing!

4. El'bow & Ha says:

we knew that you dance would be super :)
    sanne light a candle you you and hsin-yi fur good luck :D we need to do that more :D

well we know about obedience club who doenst like big and slow dog. well you know that el'bow did obedience and obe. classes. well one time at class sanne en el'bow had a new teacher because the other was sicky. but the teacher wasnt nice to sanne. she sad that sanne must quit the classes because el'bow isnt a working dog like the hyper active.
    but that teacher was so mean that sanne leave that class early in tears.
    the good thing is that the other teachers in our obedience class believe in us and we did very good in competions and "dismiss" that teacher. "she had a lot of warning so it wasnt the first time that she did that to someone"
    well we are very very happy that you have a big-slow dog friendly school :) like us

Kissslobbbers
    El'bow & Hauwii

5. Cheryl says:

I could watch video's of you two all day! You are just adorable, both of you. It cracks me up that your mum is sooo little and you are soo big, yet you mind her like a good girl.

p.s. tell your Mum that now I have picked up her accent when I say "good girl' I say it exactly like her, LOL

OMD, I can't believe anyone would have the nerve to criticize you Honey! I'm glad Hsin-Yi never took you back to that obedience class again. I'm sure dogs are a lot like people in that not everyone learns as quickly as others.

I get headaches from being out in the sun too. I try to remember to wear a hat which helps but I still usually get a headache.

I love your videos, Honey!

7. sara says:

I can't even imagine how heavy that crate must be! I bet it is as heavy as my metal exercise pen. I brought that to an agility trial twice, and knew I had to come up with something else. I couldn't bear to lug it around again.

Tell your mom she needs to hire a bell boy when Paul can't come.

I'm glad you are having fun, despite the heat. Make sure you all stay nice and hydrated.

Now Honey, why didn't you tell your mom to drink some water from your bowl?

8. Great post. I especially like those action shots of you getting a sammich. Ha woo.
    Luv,
    Dave

9. I am glad you found a real (and welcoming) obedience club to practice at!!!! Are they positive based in training too, or more traditional? Either way, it'll be great for both of you! Her turns are looking really tight!

Great news about the dancing demo as well. I wish you had posted the half they got.

Oh Honey! I am sorry it is so hot in your new home. That must be stressy for you for sure. You looked good out there in the field. I especially liked the hugging part.

Those people sure teased you a lot with their foodables. I am sure you were a very good doggie.

Momma says your Hsin-Yi should hire an assistant for when your Paul cannot go. Preferably a bronzed 25 with year old with a six pack whatever that means. Hehehe.

11. The OP Pack says:

We are so happy that you have found a club that works well for you. Now about that big crate, we are thinking that maybe you need to get some sort of cart on wheels with tall sides to it that Hsin-Yi could push along the sidewalk. We can picture it but it is sort of hard to describe. Maybe like a skateboard with side rails to it. We are sure we have seen delivery men using something like that. That crate is just too awkward for her to have to carry around.

Woos – Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

12. Sasha says:

Hi Honey

I'm so proud of you for not eating all that yummy food when it was just the right height for you! (Though I'm a little confused as to why you *shouldn't* eat it – you are a doggie after all, and if you can reach it then you should be allowed to eat it!)

My human has a special powder called "Endura", which she mixes with water on really hot days when she's ridden her bike home from work and still has to take me for my walk, and she's starting to get the heat headache sickie. It makes the headache go away very quickly, and then she feels much better so then we can go for our walk.

I think I'll make her bring some with us for our road trip to Queensland in a few weeks, so she doesn't slack off on the driving. It's going to be very exhausting for me to supervise her all that way. In fact, I need a nap just thinking about it. Might go do that now.

Puppy kisses
    Sasha

13. Sammie says:

We have been so seriously AWOL that we don't know how to apologize enough. We loved this post – my goodness – what a great obedience dog, not to mention "Field doggie" you'd make heheh!!! Fetching for bumpers? You're a natural! I swear on my paw that you can do just about anything, dear Honey! Wow, what talent! (And I couldnt' resist those treats at mouth level either heheeeeee!)
    Huge Hugs xoxoxox
    Sammie

14. Oskar says:

How happy those people looked to get to meet you!

15. Sapphire says:

Honey u take care of your mom ok? Good girl!

16. Amber says:

What a great job you did Honey! I would have helped myself to the sandwich too…I mean, like you said, she was giving you pieces anyway so naturally you would think that one was intended for you as well…might as well save her the trouble and help yourslef. hehehe! I know what you mean about being the height of the table…it's SO hard to not taste things. As for the obedience club people back in Auckland…how rude of some of them to say you were big and slow! Maybe you take your sweet time to do things but you still get the job done and quite frankly I would rather watch a doggie like you perform anyday! Hope you have a great weekend!

Kisses,
    Nala

17. Khyra says:

Woo so looked to be the hit of the day!

Thanks fur sharing!

Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra
    PeeEssWoo: We hope Hsin-Yi is feeling better!

18. Hi Honey,

You look like you had a great time. I wouldn't have been able to resist all that food!

Your crate looks ideal for you so don't give up on it too soon. Ask your mum to consider a lightweight "folding" hand truck (or trolley) with big wheels for grass and uneven surfaces – plus a couple of bungee cords to secure your crate to it in the wind. That'll get rid of the weight issue – then she just has to look over or around it (depending on which way it is) and she can load other gear on the trolley too. Basic (non folding ones with big wheels at hardware stores cost approx $30). The travel for suitcases ones often have small wheels their are many other types available in Australia via Google.

Off course Honey the other thing would be to fit you with a harness and your own cart to tow, but I think, having someone carry your things is always better!

Woofs, Riley

19. Lucky people to meet, have their photos taken and share their treats with an international dancing celebrity!

20. JD and Max says:

Oh, we do love seeing photos of you meeting people as you always look so happy! You obviously love people, good for you!

Well done on your dancing performance – you are such a talented girl. We're sorry it stressed poor Hsin-Yi out so much and hope she's feeling better now. Oh, and we noticed your yellow messenger bag in some of the photos – we're so pleased that you find it useful!

Schnauzer snuggles – JD and Max.

21. I can only imagine trying to carry that crate! I have trouble with Moose's even! I am glad you found a good obedience club, that sounds like a wonderful thing. I wonder if I have something like that here. I also know how hard it is to be vigilante in settings like that since Moose is not so well behaved as you (though he is ok I just have to pay attention) and his nose is at table level too. Plus he tends to leave drool on peoples laps if I don't pay attention (how do you handle that???). Hope Paul can come next time!
    Also, I am so used to looking at Moose that other labs often look a little off to me! Bella is a perfectly normal lab but he face is so different than Moose's! She is beautiful and I have seen other labs who look a little closer to his look but still, he is a very special boy!

22. Hello Honey,

We are sooooo happy to have found your blog. You are such a beautiful and talented pup. We love your videos and we love you blog.

Hope we can also be better friends here in bloggie land.

We invite you to visit us in our world too.

Thankies!

-Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Pai, Wai-Max & the Piappies

23. Honey, you were a definite hit with the ladies! Love the dancing. Why don't you suggest to Hsin Yi to get one of those portable flat bed trollies. That way, she can put the folded soft crate on the flat bed and pull it along.

24. Kashathedaintygreatd says:

You are such an inspiration to us big doggies everywhere Honey…you just have such an exciting life…I feel like such a slug…all I do most days is sleep, eat, go for walkies and sleep some more….I wish I had your energy. I love your giant portable crate by the way.

AARF Kasha the Dainty Great Dane

25. hello honey its dennis the vizsla dog hay their is no ekskyoose for peepul to be meen like that!!! sumtimes i think dogs shud be in chardj we ar so mutch more tolerant!!! also yoo wer verry gud at yore event we had tucker sumware wunse ware their wer peepul in weelchairs eeting fud and he tried to steel it rite owt of there laps it wuz kwite embarrassing!!! ok bye

That's lovely, that you have found a club where you can get mental stimulation and feel welcome!

What a nice idea to bring joy to the people at the church by dancing for them.

I feel sorry that Hsin-Yi has to lug around all those things. I wish I had some good suggestions about how to make it easier. Thank goodness it's a soft crate and not a metal one!

27. We are so happy that you have found a nice class there to join. That other one that was rude about you sounds awful and not very friendly at all.

The new training place looks nice, it is good that you can go when it is dark and cooler for you.

Well done on the dancing demo, we think you did great. We are sorry Hsin- Yi fealt poorly after though. It does sound like a lot of work for her to do alone and the heat makes it so much harder.

Lovely shots of you both, we like the self timer one. :)

Thanks for sharing your day and training. :)

28. MrsDesperate says:

I think you were very well-behaved considering all the yummy food within range of your drooling mouth. As for Hsin-Yi, remind her to carry water with her everywhere she goes. Even in autumn, those Qld days can get dreadfully hot – for both humans and their animals – and it's important to drink before you get thirsty. Heat stroke is horrid! Sunscreen is a must too.