Honey & Muesli: The evolution of a friendship…

Sorry it’s a bit long but I wanted to show you the whole story – all the ugly stuff & hard work in the beginning too – and not just the ‘Disney happy ending’! ;) But yes – you will see at the end - we do touch noses! :D

And just so you know, aside from the first two days when I was doing Down Stays, all the times I was lying down with Muesli playing around me – I was doing that all by myself! :D We haven’t started playing together yet although I’m trying really, really hard – but Muesli just doesn’t seem to understand my invitations! :-( My humans say we might never really play together – like I did with Lemon – but at least we can be friends.

* My human, Hsin-Yi, says making this video was “very cathartic” and that watching Muesli & me together was like finally knowing that broken hearts can be mended and there can be 2nd chances for happiness…

…I hope you enjoy our story:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m99aIPUR2vk

ps. I know I am awfully behind in visiting blog friends – please forgive me if I haven’t been round to visit you for a while! Hsin-Yi has been having another crazy week with lots of Dead Lines and Muesli sucks up any free time she has (yesterday, Hsin-Yi caught her crawling into the microwave machine!) - so she hasn’t got much time to help me do blog stuff or answer emails or visit friends. But I promise we will come round eventually and catch up on all your news! :P

Tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to Honey & Muesli: The evolution of a friendship…

1. LOL, I think Honey was like” Why are you hissing at me? Hey! Why you hissing around my humans!” She tried to get between ya’ll and Muesli when she was a little aggressive toward Muesli! Hehe. I’m taking a leap that once Muesli stopped the nasty hissing Honey wasn’t getting upset right back. But I think you were right Muesli was freak out from Honey’s staring. Poor thing.

I loved the part when Muesli’s ball goes under honey~ that was so cute.

I love how you put Lemon in the end, fitting tribute. Plus, its always fun to see Honey play with her, especially when Honey’s ears were bigger than her head!

2. Lucille says:

Great, absolutely!
    Honey, you are a real fantastic dog… and Muesli is definitely on her way too!!!
    Well, yes congratulations to your human also for her patience… :) :) :)!!!
    Ciao Lucille

3. Nicole says:

Oh that video had me in tears by the end, i was doing fine until the bit with you and Lemon you looked like such good friends.

Day 8 was so sweet, I loved where Muesli hit the ball from under your head.

Nicole

4. Amber-Mae says:

This is truly an AMAZING video!!! What a great progress they both have made so far. I also loved the part when you were just a puppy, playing with Lemon. Lemon was sure a very brave cat to play with a giant doggy like you.

5. Hsin-Yi, that was just priceless. Thanks for sharing with us. No worries, love Carol.

6. Yup, Muesli was definitly the right kitty for the job :)

Its nice to see how Muesli is getting more confident around you Honey, especially coming into the second week and at the end – but boy miss can you get a stare on! :p

Laura really enjoyed watching the video to, after all she is a slight behaviour nut! :p It was very interesting for her to see the few times you were a bit naughty, espesilly when your human gave you her grumpy voice – the change from then on was very obvious, she says you were much more respectful of Muesli after that and definintly really trying to please Hsin-Yi. Anyway enough of what Laura thought, she could go on for hours about it!

We really want our own kitten now! Watching the video’s of you and Lemon make us think that we (especially Jasper) are still in the very immature age of accepting anything. Jasper play bow’s to cow’s and try’s really hard to play with Lucky – but she is just to old now :(

Really great to see the video, looks like you to are going to have a great relationship :)

Licks and lots of slobber,
    Lexi and Jasper the Danes
    P.S. Don’t your eyes get sore from all the staring? :p

7. bubba says:

oh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

i laughed

i cried

it became a part of me!!!!

i love the butt sniff too

that was fantastic. thanks so much for posting it.

i want a kitty toooooooooo.

love,

bubba

8. Very nice video! I just love the part where a puppy Honey playing with Lemon. Honey was so adorable!!

It’s really wonderful to hear (and see) you are now getting along. You and Muesli look so cute together. But I must admit I little bit understand Muesli when I saw you from the down. You really look very big from the floor angle and Muesli is so small yet.

I wish you happy days!

-Lilli-

10. PGW says:

They are so adorable!! :-)

11. Bodie & Goo says:

Made me cry, that’s just beautiful. Love Honeys frown lines trying to work out whats going on.

12. Wow! What a beautiful video, I really enjoyed whatching!
    It made me cry too at the end. We lost our cat last month and this video
    really makes me want to try and have another kitty.
    Hsin-Yi, what a patience do you have, chapeau!

greetings Annemieke and a slobber from Ximbo

13. Phatso says:

Honey!!!
    You and Muesli are so funny together!
    You guys are gonna be such good friends!
    Love this video!!
    Peace love and kittens…Phatso and Seven

14. Sasha says:

Oh Honey, my human thought that was sooo cute!

But I want to know if you’re going to get a bigger bed now that you have to share it with Muesli. And how come Hsin-Yi is allowed on your bed and you’re not allowed on hers?

I’m so glad you have a new kitty friend!

Puppy kisses
    Sasha

15. Indiana "Bones" Taylor says:

Hi Honey – I can’t see the video (yet), I will have to watch it with my human when she gets home (HURRY UP MOM….) but I can’t wait to see your story. I know Hsin-Yi captured it perfectly, she always does! BYW – my human took me to the vet for my checkup last week and my vet said I am a little overweight – can you believe that??? Me? Overweight??? That is not possible!!! Well, maybe if I stopped asking/begging/getting people food so much, I would be slim and trim like you – ha ha. So if I am grumpy when I post my replies, please forgive me ???

Can’t wait to see your video.

Your friend,

Indy Bones

16. Honey, you are so sweet and gentle with Muesli, I love seeing you two together. And the part at the end with Lemon made my eyes leak a little bit, too.

17. Gus Dagger says:

We loved the video! We really liked being able to see you as a puppy with Lemon. You are a good dog, Honey!

gussie n teka

18. Lassiter Chase the Sheltie says:

Honey, was that Hsin-Yi with the “Super -Scary Voice” saying “Very Bad Girl!!!” around the 2:08 mark on the video? I remember you telling us about it in a previous post when Hsin-Yi gave you a Huge Telling-Off because you forgot yourself and lunged at Muesli when she was making faces at you.

Honey — I didn’t believe you at first because there weren’t any pictures, but I totally believe you now. (I better remember to always be on Hsin-Yi’s good side so she doesn’t use the “Super-Scary Voice” on me.) Tell Hsin-Yi that I really like — (Gulp) I meant to say, I REALLY REALLY LOVE!!! the video. :)

A note from my human mommy — thanks Hsin-Yi again for the wonderful job you do editing the videos and helping Honey with the blog. I like how you took the time to compile a really nice video — showing both the good and bad moments and even a tribute to Lemon in it. The video was definitely worth the wait to see.

19. Guinness says:

that was quite an unbelievable video. Muesli is a gorgeous, sweet little kitty and Honey is to be commended for her patience–what a glorious girl. i laughed and cried–it really was beautiful. the end with Lemon is touching, i can see why you loved her so much. they were such a great team…i felt the same with Saige and Guinness. I never thought I could fill that void when she died. But when Maggi came along, she did not REPLACE Saige, but the pain of Saige went away and left us with just the joous memories of her. i never thought that would happen. Enjoy your time with them both.

20. Erin & Co. says:

Awwww the ending made me laugh and cry! Soo sweet! Good luck Honey and Musli!

Erin, Bubbles, Texas and Rob.

21. Blue-Sea says:

I loved the video so much that I watched it twice. My mom even cried. I really do hope you two become friends. Best wishes to you and your humans.

I know I never comment (once) yes but I am a faithful reader of your blog and Honey I love you and so does my mom.

Bye,
    Blue-Sea

I just know you two will have a Disney happy ending :)

23. Frisky says:

I have learned from the video that it’s not only the hard work for your humans but it’s also a hard work for you. You have great patience, and great kindness. You’re very smart ignoring that toy when it came closer to you. That would make Muesli trust in you more and more.
    Thank you for sharing this video.

Frisky.

24. Honey looks kinda sad in the video but she is doing so well. We hope they will become friends so Honey can have a feline friend again.

25. This was such a great video!!! It was great to be able to see the gradual acceptance of each other.
    Honey, I can see why Hsin-Yi’s scary voice works on you… I was scared for a second! :)
    I love day 8! And when Muesli swipes the ball from under your leg! So cute! And the nose touching at the end! LOVED IT!
    I love seeing baby Honey and baby Lemon in action! Honey your ears were so big for your body and you were so bouncy! Muesli does have big paws to fill but she’s gotten a great start!

26. We can’t watch this yet because our computer is down at home and the one at work won’t let us view it. We should be able to see it next week, but we are glad to read you touched noses!!!

27. Jenny and Kadie the dane says:

Wow Honey! I am impressed with your patient skills!! I would have not been able to control myself and be so patient as long as you have! Well done!! Looks like you two are going to be very good friends! You just have to learn to play by Muesli’s rules! heehee! We loved your video! Hopefully oneday I can be as well behaved as you!

Wags,
    kadie

28. Wild Dingo says:

see, i knew muesli would have some chtzpuh! just took some time to show! she’ll get to learn to play with honey soon. i’m betting in about a month she’ll play with her!

29. Cheryl says:

Oh my gosh Hsin-Yi, that was wonderful, I needed a good cry this morning, the video of Honey and Lemon just brought me to tears. It looks like you picked the right kitten, so cute and brave. I am looking forward to more adventures of the kids!

30. Ruth says:

Well Done Honey and Hsin-Yi!
    Muesli may not ever learn to play like a dog, but Honey, you’re a smart girl. Just get Hsin-Yi to teach you to play like a cat. You could bat that little ball around and right across the room. Bet Muesli would love that!

31. Kimba's Mom says:

Watching this video brought me so many emotions! In some moments I was scared Honey could hurt Muesli…in others Muesli could hurt Honey… I felt sorry for Muesli… for Honey…
    It made me cry, especially watching Lemon and Honey. Really moving video! Love it. Thanks for sharing.

32. sara & oreo says:

Honey, looks like it is time to ask your human for a new bed! You lost that one.

You’re a very patient dog, and I think Muesli has finally realized what a sweetie you are :)

33. Great video. Our human noticed that early in the video Honey seemed to be trying to protect Paul from the Muesli (when she was hissing at Honey). She got in between Paul and the cat. Drake does this sometimes when other dogs make him nervous he will push our humans out of the way.

It is good to see that there seems to be a kind of peace settling in your house. We sure hope that someday soon Muesli will play with you Honey!

The bit at the end brought tears to our human’s eyes…..

34. So adorable! Honey is such a patient girl!

35. Lorenza says:

I loved the video!
    I knew it was just a matter of time!
    You are so patient, Honey!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

36. Sparta the Great Dane says:

It’s so beautiful to see Museli starting to feel comfortable with Honey. Honey is such a lovely Dane girl.

37. Summer says:

The microwave machine?! Perhaps she knows it’s where all the good stuff comes out. Wanted to see where they came from so she can go to the magical land of unlimited microwaved food. Mmmm….
    I’m glad you and Muesli are starting to be friends. I’m sure it was a big sigh of relief for Hsin-Yi and Paul! xD Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll be an awesome older sister.

Summer

38. Jed & Abby in MerryLand USA says:

Mama has been away a few days, so we’re just catching up with your last 4 posts. This one is the jewel in the crown: beautiful, sweet and poignant. We’re happy to see you and Muesli seem to have signed a non-aggression pact and are starting on the hard but rewarding path towards bonding into a family. Muesli is a brave little girl, but you, Honey, are wonderfully mature and patient, even though we could see it was really hard for you. And we know you’re making Paul and Hsin-Yi not only proud of you, but happy. Good girl, Honey!

Jed & Abby

39. awwww that was beautiful Hsin -yi, i haven’t even met honey, and yet I’m so proud of the way she conducts herself around muesli. Good girl honey

40. Indiana "Bones" Taylor says:

To Hsin-Yi from my human Diane:

– Oh mh goodness, that video made me laugh and cry so hard. It really makes me believe that anyone can heal their heart and get a second chance to be happy. The last minute or so of footage of sweet puppy Honey and Lemon is just precious – I LOLed when Lemon jumps in bed with puppy Honey. I’m sure you are happy to have all that documented in light of what happened :( Lemon sure was a cheeky kitty – her legacy lives on in the way Honey is behaving with Muesli. And your choice of music was just perfect too. Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Hugs to you – Diane

41. The OP Pack says:

Absolutely amazing and so precious!! My granddaughter and I just spent the last 45 minutes watching this over and over and over. We are so happy to see Honey and Muesli doing so well together. And we WILL be back for more.

42. That was FANTASTIC! Mom’s eyes were a little leaky with the Lemon video (gee, Honey, I can’t believe you were ever actually that small!) Lemon was quite the feisty cat (Lemon kicking puppy Honey out of her dog bed is PRICELESS video), and we have faith that Muesli will continue to grow into those paws. Thanks for sharing that video!

*kissey face*
    -Fiona, Abby and Dr. Liz

43. Lucille says:

You know what… I cheated a bit…
    I had not the courage to say that this video really touched my heart… very deeply…
    Guess that reading that many others had the same feeling helped me admitting the truth :)
    May be it is out of Ian’s scope, but it is definitely a great video for all pet lovers.
    It would be worth a wider audience :)
    Thank you for sharing such an important part of your life.
    Ciao
    Nicoletta & Lucille

44. Sasha says:

BARK! You made mommy’s eyes leak again. You are such a good girl honey. You will have your new friend wrapped around your paw in no time.
    BARK! Sasha the princess

45. Kristine says:

Good for you! Really, I think you should be encouraged by how far their relationship has developed, and so quickly. It took almost a YEAR for our dog and cat to be in the same room together without fighting. My dog had a pink, cat-scratched nose for a long time. Luckily they are now reluctant friends. Though they never play together exactly, I have caught them sleeping on the couch, mere centimetres from each other. It’s a start!

Muesli and Honey will get there very, very soon.

46. Oh that is gorgeous Hsin-Yi. Honey is so patient and good, and Muesli is so cute. I’m glad they are learning to trust each other. And the video with Lemon brought tears to my eyes! The photos of Honey and Muesli together at the end are priceless. It’s so lovely when pets have a friend.

Oh, that video is lovely. I wouldn’t usually watch such a long clip, but I couldn’t tear my eyes away. The clip of Lemon at the end was beautiful and the stills of Honey and Muesli were very moving.

48. Lincoln says:

Hi Honey !!

Thank you so much for your comment on youtube! I was so pleased to see you thought about me and liked my little dancing !
    Good luck with Muesli, I know it is hard sometimes with cats, you have to be very very very patient… you know that! But in the end they are great friends, aren’t they ? … your relationship with Lemon was wonderful… :-)… Sure it will be great too with Muesli, she is such a cutie !

Lots of love from France
    Lincoln

49. DebbieF says:

This brought tears to my eyes…little Meusli is making such brave strides and Honey is being so patient and understanding. My heart just soared watching them become more comfortable. When their noses touch, I just wanted to hug them both. I can understand how you lost part of your heart when you all lost Lemon. ..She was remarkable. I hope that Honey and Meusli have lots of happy years together, and I’m sure they’ll be cuddling up together in Honey’s bed soon enough. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

50. It’s so nice to see Honey and Meusli becoming good friends.

Mum and I also enjoyed seeing your old video of Lemon and Honey playing together.

Sending you lots of woofs,
    Riley

51. Glad you two are getting along! I think you guys will grow to be best friends!

52. What a beautiful video! At the end with Lemon I actually had tears in my eyes. I’m glad Muesli is fitting in and they are getting along better. :) I can’t wait to see as their friendship progresses. I think you might be surprised on the playing thing. As playful as kittens are it wouldn’t surprise me if she didn’t try to play with Honey as she gets more comfortable and confident. :) Beautiful pictures as always.

53. You guys are so cute together!
    I think I see a friendship starting :)

Rudy

54. Hi Honey!!! Thank you so much for sharing this video! Mommy cried and laughed!! What a great tribute to Lemon. She really was a sweetheart! And at the same time she could boss you around! Muesli does have big paws to fill!

Licks,
    Ruthie

55. Oskar says:

Oh heavens, my mom person is leaking tears all over the keyboard! Thank you for including Lemon in the video. I’m so glad that little Muesli is a new member of the family and when they touched noses we squealed!

Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

56. Momo & Pinot says:

Thank you very much for sharing a lovely video!!!

Hsin-Yi and Honey, we’re sorry for taking a little while to come by. Your kinds words came in right after we heard the news about the earthquake and it meant a lot to us. Yes, our mom’s family are all safe.

Have a great weekend!

Momo & Pinot xoxo

57. What a wonderful diary of the evolution of what is going to be another great friendship. I have no doubt Muesli is going to fill Lemon’s paws and possibly more as she has had to learn that a full grown Great Dane is nothing to fear. Lemon started with a puppy:)

I cried too:)

Looking forward to the next installment!

58. DBD K-9 Crew says:

Hsin-Yi,

Thank you for sharing this very cretive and touching video. I think Honey, Muesli, and Lemon can teach us humans a lot about patience, trust, and the art of living together peacefully. I predict Honey will be cleaning Muesli’s ears in no time. :)

59. Ludo says:

Honey! I glad to hear that you touched noses but Mum will have to wait to go round grandpawents to watch the video. We is only allowed so much bandwith per month here and that long video might eat it all up. BOL!

Miss Honey! I had to wait to watch your movie until momma said we had time for the whole thing. I must say I was really frightened in the beginning when I heard Hsin-Yi’s scary voice. I have never heard that before! Oh what an awful sound. But then I see how patient you are and how good your Paul and Hsin-Yi are to let you take your time with the little kitty. And it looks like you are starting to be friends which is very happy making. Then those old movies of Baby Honey with her beautiful Lemon. Some loves are once in a lifetime, aren’t they?

61. Great video! Museli and Honey definitely look like they are on their way to becoming good friends.
    LOVED the video of Honey and Lemon, they were gorgeous together!

62. Kirsten and Zeppelin says:

Aw Honey,

What a great video! I’m so happy we were able to see and experience you and Muesli getting to know eachother :) The video was absolutly priceless! We can see how much you want to be friends with Muesli, and we are keeping our fingers crossed that you two will have the best times together in the future!

63. Oh my goodness! We are so very upset with Meowm for making us wait this long to see your video!

Honey! What a great job you are doing (except for that little slip up, and boy does Hsin-Yi have a scary voice when she needs to). We are so very glad little Muesli is warming up to you, you have worked hard and been very patient!

Muesli-well now you know that big woofie can be very nice and patient with you. She didn’t even try to get your ball! You did realy good at poofing up and makingyourself look real big inthe beginning and standingup for yourself! Just hink, when it is chilly you will have a nice, big warm body to sleep next to!

Hsin-Yi, that video made us smile and laugh and cringe and cry. Lemon did train Honey well and so have you!

64. What a beautiful video!!! I am sure that they will be best of friends in no time at all :)

65. Claire Wareing says:

I have been reading your blog for sometime, I think you are both amazing, I had to comment on this video as it reminds me of my own journey with my dog and kitten, my dog is a neopolitan mastiff and they play just how Honey and Lemon do…. the bit that struck a cord with me is when Honey put her paw down Lemon’s face this is exactly what my dog does and I always worry that she will hurt him but he loves her so much and follows her everywhere so lovely to see… you have inspired me and I am pretty sure I will start a blog now for Ruby (dog) and Reggie (cat) and his mum Minnie who also lives with us but is not nearly as in love with Ruby lol.

Thanks for a great read!

Claire, Ruby and Reggie (UK)

66. Hey we really enjoyed your video! esp the last part of sweet lil’ Lemon =]

It was really weird that Chewy didn’t once hiss at us nor attempt to ”fight” wit us when she first stepped foot into our home! Mom suspects its cuz she ”knew” us all already heh. It’s really fate she’s here to stay wit us from being a stray kitten being bullied by adult kitties in the streets.

Here’s her on her 1st day wit us! hehe. http://mypawpals.blogspot.com/2010/11/chewy-gorgeous-stray-kitten-for.html

67. Sandra says:

You just made my day!!

68. bookmole says:

I have been enjoying this site – Honey is a beautiful, contented dog. However, I have been unable to view your video, as EMI & Koch Entertainment have blocked it due to copyright. Is there music to this – that seems the only reason for (one of) them blocking the video? If so, would you be able to post the vid without music, for those who have found your blog late?

69. Hello, Honey, Muesli, Hsin-Yi, and Paul: (Did I miss anyone? :) ) I enjoyed watching your video. Both of my dogs like cats, but my humans think a little differently. Maybe I can train them, too, one of these days. Thank you for your wonderful video!

70. Connie Mahalek says:

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your life with Honey and Lemon & Muesli. I cannot stop sobbing.
    I have a great dane who just turned 1 and my neighbor has a cat and they get along great. I am just so sorry for your loss and HONEY’S loss of Lemon. I know how much work it is to do what you did when you decided to get Muesli. I hope they continue to bond. Thanks again for sharing.
    Connie M
    Dallas, TX

71. Danielle Gulla says:

I stumbled upon Honey and Lemon on Youtube.
    I loved it!!!! God Bless all Aminal lovers.
    I thought you would enjoy the below…. This was read over the radio for many years (USA NY-NJ area by Cousin Brucie on 101.1fm radio. Enjoy and God Bless Honey and Lemon.

Animals don’t have souls … do they?
    I remember bringing you home. You were so soft and cuddly with your tiny paws
    and soft fur.
    You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you’d let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory.
    Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and look up at me with those innocent eyes as if to say “I’m sorry, but I’ll do it again as soon as you’re not watching.”
    As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by.
    When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say, “welcome home, I missed you.” You never had a bad day and I can always count on you to be there for me.
    When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so that you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.
    As you got older, you moved around more slowly. Then one day, old age finally took its toll and you couldn’t stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there trying to make you young again. You looked up at me as if to say you were old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me to do one last favor.
    With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time you were lying next to me.
    For some strange reason you were able to stand up in the animal hospital…perhaps it was your sense of pride.
    As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say: “Thank you for taking care of me.”
    I thought, “No…thank YOU
    for taking care of ME.”
    There is a moral here that should not be overlooked. When your faithful pet becomes old and sick, and life is no longer fun but rather a painful burden, do your friend one last kindness. Relieve him or her of the misery. It’s the last great act of compassion you can perform.

72. Adriana says:

I enjoyed this video completely!
    The whole story is very touching, and is wonderful to see and read that broken heart can be mended and that there are second chances for happiness.
    Thank you for sharing this amazing story with us a for keeping Lemon in your hearts, but also opening your heart for new family members. This gives me hope!

Thank you again!