Cooking ‘Shish Taouk’! (& some words from Hsin-Yi)

Today I am doing a post to mark a momentous occasion: my human Hsin-Yi cooked something and it actually turned out OK!!!!! 8-O

Well, actually, although I often tell you that Hsin-Yi is a terrible cook – she isn’t that bad really. She is more of a “hit-and-miss” cook (except that she misses more often than she hits – hee! hee! ;) ) – sometimes she can cook really well and make really yummy things but that sort of happens only once in a long time (like the solar eclipse). And it’s a good thing that Paul likes cereal ‘coz he eats a lot of that for dinner some times! ;)

But don’t worry - Hsin-Yi has managed to learn to cook a small group of things pretty well and so she mostly just rotates through those dishes when she’s making meals – and Paul is usually safe! ;) – but the problem comes when she tries something new!!

See, Hsin-Yi is very lazy and naughty and she never follows recipes properly. She just wants to get it done quickly and in the easiest way; and she also hates having to buy 1 thing just for one recipe which she only uses one time – she thinks it’s such a waste! – so she often tries to ‘substitute’ things in the recipes herself, rather than making the effort to get them… :roll:

“Fresh lime? I’m not going to the supermarket just to get that…um… oh, I’m sure lemon juice is fine instead…Cayene pepper? where am I going to find that? Oh forget it…I’ll just use paprika…it’s sort of the same colour…Blend in food processor? What a pain! I’ll have to dig it out of the cupboard and then wash it all up afterwards…hmm…maybe I’ll just mix it by hand…oh, er…it’s gone weirdly lumpy…Six ounces of sugar? hmm…I don’t have a scale – how do I measure that? Oh, I’ll just guess – I’m sure it will be OK…”

…hmm…and you wonder why the things that Hsin-Yi cooks tastes funny!! :roll:

But this time, she was really good and actually made the effort to get all the right ingredients – even sumac, a kind of Arabic spice, which she had to go to 3 different shops to find!

What do you think she was making?

Shish Taouk!

This is a kind of Lebanese chicken kebab – her daddy (who died 2yrs ago) used to love this and Hsin-Yi used to eat this with her family on weekends, back when she was still living in Dubai. It’s very yummy and – this is the best part for Hsin-Yi – really easy to make!

First, you cut the chicken breast up into little chunks and then you put them in a ‘marinade’ made of lemon juice, yoghurt, cumin, olive oil, black pepper, tomato paste, paprika, salt and of course, sumac! (if you can’t find sumac, some recipes use allspice – but sumac gives it the real Arabic taste! ;) )

Then you cover it and put it in the fridge and leave it all night, until the next day, so that the chicken absorbs all those yummy flavours.

Then the next evening – with the resident Dane helping, of course –  you just take the chicken out and put it on the special barbecue sticks called ‘skewers’, with some pretty, crispy vegetables like green & red peppers (capsicums) or courgettes (zucchini)…

They looked so yummy, I wanted to gobble them up immediately! But Hsin-Yi said, No, they had to go under the grill in the oven first…

I tried to get a sneaky lick in but Hsin-Yi caught me! Humph!

How long do we have to wait?

I could smell them smoking & sizzling under the grill…ooh! Delicious!

Actually – as usual! Sigh. – Hsin-Yi forgot to check the time when she put them in and so after a while, she didn’t know how long they had been cooking for and didn’t know when they should be ready! :roll:

And she was worried that they wouldn’t be cooked in the middle so she left them in the oven a bit too long…so the chicken ended up a bit overcooked and a bit dry…

But that’s OK – they were still really yummy!

Hsin-Yi had made her special Arabic rice (basmati rice cooked in chicken stock, with fried red onions, toasted almonds & raisins) to go with the shish taouk. And usually, for Arabic food, she would also make tabouleh, which is a special kind of yummy Arabic salad but she was too lazy to spend hours chopping parsley so she decided to just do a Cheat’s Salad of cucumber & mint, tossed with lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and black pepper - very yummy & refreshing! :P

Ta Da!

This is one night that Paul didn’t go hungry – or eat cereal – hee! hee!

Oh, and I did get a small taste although my humans only gave me a small piece of chicken to try ‘coz they said it had too many spices and things and might be too much, even for my iron tummy! Humph! So unfair! After all the time I spent helping Hsin-Yi with the cooking!! :evil:

If you’d like to try making shish taouk too, here are some recipes: (and you don’t have to cook fancy rice to go with it – you can just have it with pita bread)

And now, Hsin-Yi would like to say some words (well, OK, lots of words!):

******

My Dragon NatuallySpeaking software has finally arrived from Amazon and I’m getting to grips with how to use it. I did actually try out Version 10 a few years ago and found it so frustrating that I just gave up at the time. But I’d heard from various blog friends that the latest version (Version 11) is much improved and that it can work very well, if I just take the time to ‘train it’.  A few years ago, I didn’t really need to use it but now with my RSI, I really need to make this work – so I’m really making the effort this time be patient and try my best to use it and train it…

It is still very frustrating at times – everything takes twice as long to do because it still often can’t understand me or mis-recognises a word and I have to keep stopping to correct the mistakes. And you can’t just type over the mistakes because the software won’t learn that way – you have to verbally tell the software to select the wrong word, verbally ask it to correct it and then verbally choose the correction from a list or spell it out (+ say the word for the software to hear, so that it recognises how YOU say that word)…so that this can all be logged in the software database and stored for future use. Of course, this all takes 3 times as much time as if you just corrected the mistakes yourself by typing! :roll: But I know I must do this sort of “correction process”  to train the software. I think it doesn’t help that I have a “funny” accent – in that it’s not a straightforward British or American one but a mixed-up bit of everything.

Anyway, so I just wanted to say that I’ve started visiting your blogs and using DNS to comment but it’s extremely slow going! Sometimes I just want to go AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!! and grab the keyboard – but I’m trying to persist with it. So please be patient with us. And please excuse any funny grammar or strange spellings that I might miss. (I know it’s not the end of the world but I’m really fussy about things like grammar & spelling!) DNS seems to struggle the most with similar sounding words: “there” Vs. “their” and “two/to/too” – I was mortified the other day after I submitted a comment to find that it had somehow typed, “it’s great for dogs to burn everything” instead of “it’s great for dogs to earn everything”!! :D  Plus any emotive words are a real struggle – words like “wow”, “whew!”, “Oh” and “ewww”…yesterday, I nearly burst a blood vessel yelling at the software, “Awww!” – when it kept typing “Bold”, “All”, “Old”, “Oar”…anything except what I wanted!!! Yes, I did add “awww” as a special word into the Vocabulary and I said it for the software to hear – but I guess it’s hard to say those emotive words the same way every time – the way you say them changes depending on the context and computers just can’t recognise all the subtle nuances…

But overall, I feel that it is still a good solution – since I’ve installed the software, I haven’t had any pain in my arms for the first time in weeks! – so I’ve just got to persist with it.

So I just wanted to let you all know what was happening, in case you’re wondering why we’re so slow to visit and sound a bit funny in our comments or emails! But I guess this is better than not being able to visit & comment at all! For the posts, I’m still typing them the old-fashioned way because they involve much slower typing & lots of pauses to compose, so they never seem to trigger my RSI as badly. Thank goodness for that! :P

~ Hsin-Yi

Tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

50 Responses to Cooking ‘Shish Taouk’! (& some words from Hsin-Yi)

1. We think it’s really funny that your Mom has no patience for cooking, and yet she’s all into getting reliable recalls out of Muesli (and being Really Picky about how close you get to the food!)! Our Mom, on the other hand, is good on cooking (Dad doesn’t like cereal! ;-) ) but couldn’t train a cat if her life depended on it! :-D She’s lucky that we’re generally well-behaved, or she’d be in trouble with us, too! Heehee. Your Mom’s food looks Really Yummy, and Mom would make it in a heartbeat, except that Dad can’t handle spicy food, so we’ll just live vicariously through you!

Of course, we’re still impressed that your Mom has the patience with the Dragon software. I mentioned our Mom has no patience, right? Heehee!

*kissey face*
    -Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

2. Hsin-Yi’s cooking sounds just like Noel-John’s sisters ‘cooking’… she likes to leave things out (like eggs and sugar and silly things like that!!) To try and make the food more healthy, it barely ever works, because of that. and she guesses measurements too. Helen can’t comprehend how or why people would do that… just following the recipe is as easy as reading! haha!!!

That meal looks very yummy, well done Hsin-Yi!

It’s great that Hsin-Yi’s RSI is on the mend too :-D

3. Jasmine says:

Mmmm…that food sure does look yummy! Too bad Hsin-Yi caught you before you got your sneaky lick in. I almost sneaked a bite of the baby sister’s hot dog tonight, but Mommy gave me the mean “leave it” just before I bit down. >:/

And tell Hsin-Yi not to worry about any typos. Mommy has always been a bit OCD about spelling and grammar, too, but she decided if no one else bothered to learn the differences between your/you’re, its/it’s, and there/their then why should she care?

Puppy Love,
    Jasmine

4. Hi Everybuddy, the recipe sounds great. If it’s easy mum will give it a go. When you were telling how Hsin-Yi couldn’t be bothered to get out the food processor, having to wash it etc mum laughted cause it sounded like her. The funny thing in our house, is that two of my sisters love to cook. Don’t know where that came from.

We haven’t had any trouble with your blog. Everything is fine when we use it. Glad to hear Hsin-Yi’s arms are feeling better. Honey you showed great restraint watching the food being prepared. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

5. Vero says:

So Honey, what’s wrong with substituting ingredients? Hum ? I do it all the time! Those kebab look yummy. Tell Hsin-yi to keep some chicken unmarinated so that she çan make one kebab just for you:-)
    Hsin-Yi, keep on training that Dragon, I’m sure you master it very soon!

6. Heehee. Mom wants to say that she finds the Dragon software’s ‘interpretations’ pretty funny! Gels/jowls – same difference! :-D Mom’s still impressed that your Mom has the patience to try to teach the silly software! ;-)

*kissey face*
    -Fiona and Abby the Hippobottomus

7. Oh yeah, and the Sherman picture was TOTALLY for you! Glad you saw him! :-)

8. Nicki is not so good with cooking either. Shawn does about 99.9 percent of the cooking. he actually gets nervous when Nicki gets into the kitchen. Although she can concentrate for hours on a quilt or a book she has a certain inability to follow a recipe….go figure. Thank goodness our food is not reliant on her cooking ability.

9. jet says:

Oh, I am sorry but I had to laugh at your description of the software trying to interpret ‘awww’ ;)

10. Jeannette ,Stryder Wanda and House(with angel wings) says:

well done Hsin-Yi cooking is noty a skill easily aquired but they look fabulous.

i hope your RSI or OOS is improving. Jeannette know how muscle and joint pain can cause you to feel ‘yucky’

Stryder,Wanda and Jeannette

11. Rubie says:

Those chicken sticks looked yummers!! I’m so jealous of Honey – she has a “birds eye view” of what is goin’ on on that kitchen counter…… I try to see, but I can’t really. I must rely on my nose for good smelling stuffs that require my best “I’m cute and soooooo hungry face!” – gets mum every time!!

We are not very technologicals when it comes to the problems you describe….. but we do know one thing…..things improve greatly when you no longer use windows!! We love our MAC!!

Tail Wuggles, Rubie.

12. Cindy says:

Hi Hsin-Yi

I’m sorry to hear about your RSI! Have you seen a physiologist/doctor about it?

I can totally relate to your pain (literally or otherwise). Spending hours a day in front of a keyboard doing hundreds and thousands of repeated movements is probably the most dangerous thing anyone can do!! Before when I completed Grade 8 and Performer’s Certificate for piano, I had no idea that it was possible to get injured at a keyboard at all. So as a result my arms were aching and throbbing every day. (And I was only practicing an hour a day! Image the pain if I practiced 6 hours a day as I do now!)

I’m lucky I now have several good teachers to help me with this. I now know not to push myself when I feel strain or pain in my arms, because any strain or pain is bad! When this happens, I usally:
    1) Stop what I am doing immediately and give myself a break.
    2) Try identify the damaging movement or posture that is causing the pain.
    3) Eliminate or minimize the damaging movement or posture. Learn a safer way of doing it. (This is where my teacher helps. I also find it helpful to keep a mirror nearby — or video myself as I practice. That way I can see if I’m doing something funny with my movements)
    4) If it’s pain, I usually stop practice for the day and however long it takes for my arms to feel normal again.

My mum got RSI in her arms a few years ago from computer overuse (she has to use a computer for her full-time job). It was very painful for her and she was very miserable for a long time. But she went to the physiologist. They corrected the way she was sitting in the work station and gave her a rubber tube to stretch and exercise her arms (I have now inherited the rubber tube). My mum has been RSI-free and pain-free for many years now, even though she is still working to the max at the same job!

Please take care! Rest heaps!! Your hands and arms are very, very precious!!

13. Thy says:

Yummy Yummy But can you tell me your experience of eating a lot( like you ) but not gainning weight ???

14. Bella the Dane says:

Honey, that food looks so yummy!! And it kind of looks like you had to run over there to help Hsin-Yi – my ears always do that backwards-flop when I’ve been running. Chellie calls it my “racing-ears” :-)

Perhaps you should train Hsin-Yi to be a little more focused on following recipes, so she can learn to cook better? I know, it can be really hard if she just doesn’t get it, but with lots of patience and proper treats, I’m sure you’ll get there in the end :-)

The food sounds delicious. Who cares if it was a teensy bit dry? I like my food to be DEFINITELY cooked, not even a suggestion of rawness.

Good luck with the software.

16. Indiana "Bones" Taylor says:

Hi Honey and Hsin-Yi – oh my that chicken and other yummies look amazing, I wanted to lick the screen but my human wouldn’t let me :(:( I just wanted to let you know that my human has had no problems getting to your website or any of your posts. No lock up issues. She is using IE 7 at work and IE8 at home. I am so sorry about all your frustrations with things disappearing – sometimes my human Dave says not-so-nice things to the computer screen when he has trouble like that!!! Oh dear!!!

Your friend,

Indy Bones

17. Gus Dagger says:

That looks Yummy. We think that Paul had a great dinner! And to support your budding Master Chef, our muzzer READS lots of cookbooks, but she hardly ever follows a recipe. Dad said it only took her about twenty years to start getting good enough to “wing it” so there is still hope.

gussie

18. Jen says:

Yummmm, that chicken looks GOOD!! We’ll have to try it around this place (but keep it all for Jen and not share with the Black Dog Crew, hehe!)

Jen and the BDC!

19. Tucker says:

Honey I see you’ve got your AirConditioning on! (that’s what my hoomans call it when are ears are flipped back like that).

We are having commenting problems too – it’s very frustrating!

woof – Tucker

20. So I don’t know if I missed it and if I did then ignore this comment. I was having problems with leaving comments lately too on blogger. You have to sign out of blogger and then sign back in without the “rememeber me” button clicked. This is what finally worked for me. Annoying but simple. Hope it works!

21. Angella says:

Hi Hsin-Yi, :)
    I’m a fairly new follower to your blog (I found you by typing a google search for “training a great dane”…and I’m so happy I did. This blog is great!) and I wanted to let you know that I exclusively use Mozilla Firefox for browsing, and have never had an issue with your website. As you already said, it’s a free browser and very dependable.

I have a 3 month old dane, Graycie, and we have already started the clicker training with the information I got from this blog. There really is a wealth of information here, if one is willing to research and read. Thank you so much for the time and energy you put into letting us know what you’ve done and how you’ve done it. Honey is an amazing dog and it speaks to your dedication to her training.

Good luck with your DNS. I tried that software back in the late 90′s when it first came out thinking it was the new “it” thing. I found out quickly..not so much. :) I have heard great things about how far its come, so I hope it turns out to be a viable solution for you.

I look forward to reading your posts, and have been known to sit down and do a marathon reading session, jotting down notes as I learn this trick or that. ;) Thank you again for your effort. It is much appreciated. :)

22. Jenny and Kadie says:

Wow Honey, That sure did look yummy! I am drooling on the keyboard! Also we are so glad to know that everything is ok since you went to the vet! I am doing much better too! Now that I am healthy and happy, I am excited to tell you a secret! Jenny and Matt are adopting a human pup!!!! They are so excited and I am tooo! I have been checkin’ out all the new contraptions around the house. They have a special crate and a special kind of leash that they wear! Jenny says it should be anyday now! Me and my brother’s love children! Jenny says she is only concerned about us licking the baby too much! I’ll keep you posted on this human pup. I think we will get along fine! I will soon have someone else to cuddle with!

23. JP says:

Have you tried Google’s translate instead? It’s free and you can use speech to text (might be Chrome-only?).

If it’s the same engine they use for Android phones, it’s fairly accurate… and should ‘learn’ as you use it as well.

24. Mina & Maks says:

Oh, by the look of that last photo, I would definitely say that you CAN cook! It looks so delicious and reading the recipe it sounds at least hard, if not difficult, to prepare.
    I love cooking, but mostly just simple dishes and ones that don’t take too much time to prepare, and I really love making lots of cakes, but I try to make them healthier ;)
    But, the thing I like baking the most is doggie cookies :D … Every time when I go to visit some of my canine friends, I bake cookies and well they are known in paw-circles like delicious ;), but unfortunately my dog doesn’t like them a lot (even though he is a Labrador!). He eats BARF and RAW, and just doesn’t like new tastes or biscuit-like treats :(
    But, for his ninth birthday I baked him very healthy (and really simple!) meat cake/pie and he loved it :D
    Birthday cake
    … and he got yoghurt all over his face :P
    My beauty
    Ah, that was a good day ..

~Mina

25. sara, oreo and chewy says:

Oh that looks delicious! Hsin~Yi has a similar cooking style as me :) Cereal makes a wonderful dinner.

26. mMMMMMMmmm That chicken dish looks YUMMY! mmmm
    Love your folded back ears Honey! hehehe.

27. rottrover says:

Honey, we’re sure that Hsin-Yi could never have made that yummy dish without your help! We’re going to encourage our publicist to try the chicken!

And thank you for your kind comments that you left on our blog. Sorry about speaking in code! Gizmo is continuing to smile and wag and enjoy his meals and his cuddles. We are enjoying each moment that we have with him. He is such a brave boy.

28. That chicken dinner sounds very tasty. Mom isn’t crazy about cumin so she would be like Hsin-Yi and do some substituting. And peppers are a big hit here too.

We use Firefox and we have noticed that lately it is taking a little longer to load the home page. Not bad at all so no problem here.

We are glad you are getting some relief from using that new software. No worries about visits, we do understand. We haven’t been able to visit as much lately either, lots of house stuff going on with painting and such, and then all the fun of adding the new little guy.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

29. K-9 Katastrophie says:

Hi Honey! That does look soooo nommy!!! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Licks,
    Ruthie

30. Haha our human can’t cook either!! Probably even worse than Hsin-Yi – that Shish Taouk looks pretty impressive :)

It’s a good thing our huMAN likes to cook, otherwise she would be having cereal most nights :p

You go girl, trying to get a sneaky lick in!! :) We never suceed with that either – when someone is cooking we stand in the exact same position as you!

Licks and lots of slobber,
    Lexi and Jasper the Danes

31. 2browndawgs says:

Shish Taouk is super yummy. Good for you for making it. I have never tried, but we have a large Arab community here so we can just visit one of the local restaurants for our fix.

Your new software sounds so fascinating. I hope you get the kinks worked out quickly.

I started using Firefox to write and view blogs because it just worked better. I haven’t been having any problems reading your blog. However, there have been a bunch of Windows updates recently. (One killed my older printer making it no longer compatible with Windows 7…grrrr.) Maybe one of those updates messed something up?

the 2 brown dawgs send greetings!

32. Cheryl says:

Wow loook at you go, you chef you! I just might have to make that dish while I am on vacation next week I dont have Sumac but I know where to get it! Honey you are so funny with your ears back and helping Mama. It makes me miss my Doberman she was very tall as well and used to rest her face on the cutting board praying for a handout, one time she got too close and I nicked her nose and she bled like a stuck pig!

Blogger can be so annoying sometimes! I’ve switched over to Google Chrome for the most part and haven’t had any issues with your blog freezing up or being slow to load.

Hsin-Yi sounds exactly like the type of cook I am. I’m always wanting to find the quickest and easiest way to do things and will often substitute ingredients. And I wonder why I’m not a better cook! lol

I love that picture of Honey with her ears back like that. So precious!

34. Tessa says:

OH yum, yum, yum does that ever look GOOD! stingy Pawrents though, sure looked like enough to share! BOL

Mom said to tell Hsin-Yi to KEEP TRAINING! No cheating now! Mom says that she knows that you can conquer DS you just have to Train it to death and then some!

woos, Tessa

35. Kim, Luc, Kira and Jasmine says:

Hi Honey – our humans can’t cook either! They seem to eat a lot of yummy pizza. They tell us it isn’t good for us (not fair), so me (Kira) & my sister Jasmine have developed a few techniques to distract them and grab some. Jasmine is pretty gutsy: last week she grabbed a slice right out of mom’s hand! But usually we just start running around and play fighting, trying to knock the pizza box off the table. Sometimes one of us grabs some other forbidden item and takes it to another part of the house, and the other grabs a slice while our humans are distracted. Mom says it bizarre because the only time we do it is when there’s pizza. One thing our dad cooks really well is hamburgers. When Jasmine came home from the SPCA for the first time, she was really afraid of men in general and wouldn’t let dad get close to her because she’d been severely mistreated by her previous owner. So he cooked up some burgers with cheddar on them, we had a burger-party, and pretty soon Jas was cuddling right up to him. Mom calls him the Burgermeister, and us his Burgermonsters! We’ve been waiting for a repeat ever since, but mom says we shouldn’t eat things like that. Oh Honey, why are all the really yummy things forbidden?
    PS – that’s a really lovely portrait of you with Hsin-Yi.

36. Hi Honey!

That looks sooo yummy. Brittany has started making yummy food too… But heres the bad part! Its got NO MEAT! She has turned vegetarian, so no yummy meat for me to try and grovel out of her! It sucks. But some of the food shes making tastes alright… I suppose. Has your humans ever tried to give you a meal without ANY meat at all?

Licks and woofs,
    Lacey

37. BODIE says:

I run outside when Mum cooks cos she gets all stressy. Its better when she just does vegemite on toast. Aunty Jan rang the other night cos she couldn’t get into your blog so Mum told her just to go on my blog and click our link and then she got in just fine. Our blogger has just had another change too. SIGH!!! why oh why.

38. Well, that food looks good to us!!!!!

We hope the comment problems resolve themselves!!!

39. Jed & Abby in MerryLand, USA says:

That food looks yummy! You’re lucky we all live so far away or we’d be gathered outside your door, 30 feet deep, howling for hand-outs. Abby likes to wear her ears pinned back, too, like you do when you help Hsin-Yi cook.

We just tried and are still unable to access your blog on IE-8. It gives a script error and freezes our computer, so mama has to turn the whole thing off and restart all over. We’re using Foxfire to access your blog, but mama’s got problems with the top part of the screen disappearing and she can’t access the Favorites she brought over from IE, nor can she access her e-mail, so we now use Foxfire just to read your blog then go back to IE, although mama is increasingly annoyed with it. After mama turned off the ‘stay connected’ box on blogger, she can leave comments on blogspot blogs, but about half the time her comments on wordpress blogs disappear when she hits the submit button. Mama has no idea what’s going on or what to do about it, so she’s doing a lot of muttering under her breath. The fact that so many of your readers can access your blog through IE just fine and others can’t just makes no sense at all to mama. Anyway, as long as we can find a way to get to your blog, whatever it is, we’re happy :)

Jed & Abby

40. Lucille says:

My human is not really good at cooking either…
    Last march she organized a party for the Mario’s father birthday. She prepared a few things and even a cake with a candle. Well, Mario’s father looked at her with suprised eyes, saying… but you can cook something… ehm, well I mean it was a delicious dinner :)
    So you see Honey, tell your human she has good company.
    From my human: it takes time and we do not have time… if we had time to dedicate I am sure we would be great at cooking too :D
    Ciao Lucille

41. Lucille says:

PS: my human will try your recipe. She is not very fond of arabic cousine, but she thinks that this version of the chicken must be really worth trying…

42. Kathie R says:

Your shish taouk looked so delicious, we went out and bought the ingredients so we could try it. And…. it was delicious! and easy to make : ) We love Arabic food – thanks for the recipe!

43. Blue-Sea says:

My mom loathes to cook. She too has no patience for cooking, never follows recipes, and won’t cook anything with a long lost of ingredients. On days she doesn’t feel like cooking, take-outs or bread and eggs save the day.

44. Emma says:

That is a great picture of you and Hsin-Yi.

I just love your inside out ears. It must be a Dane thing because I do it too. I’ve seen my Bella sissy do it too and she’s not a Dane so maybe it’s just a doggie thing. Mom sometimes calls it my Princess Leia look, haha :) Do you ever wear just one ear inside out and the other normal? That’s fun too.

Those kabobs look yummy!

45. I’m not a good cook either, near enough is good enough most times … but sometimes it isn’t, lol!

I’ve heard IE6 is very flakey. I’ve got a Mac and use Chrome or Safari and haven’t had any problems with your blog. Hope everyone gets it sorted.

Love the photos.

46. Kirsten & Zeppelin says:

Yum Hsin-yi that food looks delicious! It is making my mouth water :) Kirsten says for her trying new recipies is an adventure. She has several that she is comfortable with, but with new ones you just never really know. And were glad that you have the software to help take the pain off of your RSI :)

Love and Slobbers,

Zeppelin and Kirsten

47. Lassiter Chase the Sheltie says:

Hi Honey, I can’t believe I am so far behind on blogs — thanks again for your help in pointing me to Mozilla – that works great! I really like how you described Hsin-Yi’s cooking techniques about substituting here and there. (Mommy does something similar — instead of getting another bowl dirty — she will just measure the ingredient in the same bowl or measuring cup as something else. (So, she isn’t sure if she measured it properly — but she thinks having the measurement close enough is ok.) I think the food shows on TV would have a fit with Mommy’s cooking techniques sometimes! The meal that Hsin-Yi made looks great! I don’t blame you for trying to have a sneak taste test of the meal.

48. Lassiter Chase the Sheltie says:

Hi Honey, me again. Just wanted to let you know I am able to access you blog fine in Internet Explorer now. For this comment I typed in your web address and clicked on blog, and I accessed your post just fine. (This cooking post was the first post I couldn’t access on your blog weeks ago with Internet Explorer, but now it works fine.)

49. Hmm that software looks interesting!! I’m glad it’s helping your RSI. I’m sure you’ll get it all figured out. :)

That food looks delicious!! Maybe I should try it, but I’m not a great cook either. I’m opposite though in that I like to follow a recipe exactly and if any little tiny thing is wrong I freak out lol. I wish I could learn to substitute and “wing” it. :)