‘Fancy’ Dane colours & sneaky BYB’s…

Oooh, I’ve been meaning to tell you: I won the Charlotte Reeves Bark Stars Photo Contest!! :D Thank you SO much everybody who voted for me – I know it was a big pain having to vote every day so I was really touched by all the wonderful support from my friends & fans….I couldn’t have done it without you! :P

And I am donating my prize to Great Dane Rescue Australia! :P It is a photo session with Charlotte Reeves worth $650 – which is being given to Great Dane Rescue Australia as a gift certificate to be raffled off – and all money paper raised will be given to the rescue!

(If you want to get some tickets in the raffle check out this link: www.shop.greatdanerescue.com.au – there are raffles held every week, so you can check to see which items are in the current week’s raffle)

So I hope it will help some other Danes who are not as lucky as me. There are many lovely Danes looking for homes at the moment so if you are in Australia, looking for that special plus-sized doggie in your life or know someone who is, please ask them to check out the Rescue website!

And if they really want a puppy, then please ask them to check with Sacha Packer (NSW Rescue Coordinator) – for a list of breeders & the checklist of things to look for, so that they don’t end up buying from a BackYard Breeder (BYB) – there are so many of those around and they are sneaky and often con newbies!! :-(

For example, being “registered” and having “papers” doesn’t really mean anything…

Introducing the 'Indigo-Bubbliquin' Dane...

…and most of all, don’t ever be taken in by people pushing “rare”, “limited edition” Dane colours for LOTS of money paper…such as Fawnequin, ‘Chocolate’, ‘Blue Fawns’, Brindle-quin, Fawns-With-No-Masks, etc (and no, you can’t make the Scooby-Doo colour – the picture going around the internet has been Photoshopped! ;-) )

I don’t mean that such doggies are not beautiful, lovely doggies in their own way – and even responsible breeders sometimes get these strange colours popping up in their litters (because of “throwbacks” from ‘cross-colour breeding’ in a doggie’s great-great-great-great grandparents – but cross-colour breeding should only be done very carefully by very experienced breeders who understand lots of big words and Genetics!)…but no responsible, ethical, decent Dane breeder would actually try to breed such colours on purpose or promote them as “special” or “rare”, with fancy names like “Champagne Harlequin” (Fawnequin) – and charging LOTS of money paper for them! :evil:

The 6 accepted Dane colours are: Fawn, Brindle, Blue, Black, Harlequin & Mantle (and Merle is accepted in Harlequin breeding but is not accepted in the show ring) – so really, any other colours are sort of “mismarks” and a decent breeder will always sell them at a discounted rate, as pets, and not try to make money from them as some “limited edition” colour.

If you’re interested in learning more about Dane colours, there’s some info here: http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Docs/buying_a_puppy.pdf

And if you like big words and Genetics, there’s lots of technical info here about ‘cross-colour breeding’ in Danes! ;-) http://www.chromadane.com/standardcoat.htm

Please don’t think I’m being snobby about Danes who are born with different colours from normal – I think they are lovely, beautiful doggies too and it’s not their fault that they were born that colour – but I just wanted to warn any humans who might not know about the “ethical code of colour breeding” and might be looking for a Dane puppy and not realise how some nasty BYB’s can con them!

Anyway, look at me – I’m just an “ordinary” Fawn and that can be “special” too, right? ;-)

You know that old saying: “pretty is as pretty does”?

Well, my human believes that it should be “special is as special does” – you make yourself special by the things you do, not the way you look!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to ‘Fancy’ Dane colours & sneaky BYB’s…

1. Roo says:

Honey! Congratulations on the WIN! :D Butt, since you won, why are you so blue? ;) Hardy Har Har Luv the photo :)

Saw the video of you and Kaos. That was so great. What a good time y’all had together! Great info on how to do the meet and greet :)

And thanks for the reminder not to stick my nose in fertilized dirt! Gosh that looked like it really hurt! Glad your VET figured out what was causing it and gave you the meds to make it all better! :)

Waggin at ya,
    Roo

2. Linnéa says:

Congratulations Honey!

That’s a good topic I don’t think you’ve spoken about before, and a very important one too! BYBs are despicable!

It’s not the color that makes the Dane! :) (Btw, yours is very beautiful, reminding me of a great lion! Your carneval outfit was very fitting, hihi!)

Linnéa

3. Hi Honey!

You are so correct regarding BYB, for any type of doggie. Fawn is a beautiful color, he he he.

Congrats on the win! So nice of you to donate to homeless doggies, too!

Drools and licks,
    Minnie and Mack

4. I was explaining the plight of the dane and the major problem with BYBs in america at the Tokyo JKC dog show today (Mr. Bingley met heaps of other danes today!, and even was reunited with his papa, for just a few moments!) They didn’t believe me that there were hundreds and hundreds of danes in rescue, but I explained the “money making” scheme of rare colors, and how newbs get conned by fancy words. I’m not a dog snob either, but man I dislike BYBs!

It’s great that you were taking the time to educate people, Cassandra! I can’t imagine that there would be a lot of BYB’s in Japan??
      That’s so lovely that Mr Bingley got to see his father again! Bet it was a great reunion! :P

5. Well done Honey, Boris and I are very proud of you for posting about this in your blog.

We wrote a post here about our thoughts on choosing an ethical breeder because as you know, I thought long and hard about who to get Boris off, and I think it’s important everyone does the same thing.

We also agree that these dogs are still beautiful dogs, but a lot of thought and effort should go into breeding all dogs, including Great Danes, so people need to be so careful who they get their precious dog from.

Anyway, great post, love it, love Honey, always a pleasure.

Kristen and Boris Dog

6. Hello Honey !!!
    I know that, like me, you like merles great danes a lot.I know that sometimes, things don’t go according to plans, and we have mismarcks ( we even had a deaf puppy a few years ago, sad, but lovely story though, as he found a lovely home with a deaf owner who taught him sign language!!!). Some mismarcks are absolutly wonderful dogs, but selling them for more, pretending they are rare is pretty stupid. Anyone who has a little bit of knowledge on danes, which i would expect if they want to buy one, should see the trick! Actually now that i think about it, it’s a good way to know if they’ve dome their homework haha!! Last summer i was accompanying a friend to look at a litter of border collies: despite the fact that both parents were seriously overweight, the puppies were up for 500 pounds each, because the mother had one blue eye, and one brown eye!!! I love your new color by the way, it’s very unique !!!
    I don’t know if you’ve seen it yet, but i have set up a Puppy cam on my website, and it will go live as soon as the pups are here! This way, we can share the amasing experience of watching little puppies doing their first steps in life to all dog lovers around the world!!! They should be here soon, and i am getting more and more excited!!!
    Slobber bubbles!!!

Hi Indigo – I think your new Puppy Cam idea is a great one! Sorry – my human has been busy so we haven’t had a chance to go around and visit blog friends yet this week but we will be around soon! I can’t wait to see your puppies! Oh – and thanks for telling us about that Doggelganger site too – we were having great fun with it this morning! :-)

7. Phatso says:

Hi Honey!!
    Congratulations on your win! There was never any doubt u would win!!
    Hey Seven went to another barking seminar at the RSPCA today and there were pictures of US playing when they were talking about the 5 Freedoms!!
    Everyone oooo and aaaahed at our pictures!!
    We do make a good couple!!
    ;)
    Good to see you again!!!!
    Peace love and meaty bones ..Phatso and 7

8. Hey Honey,
    i like your new colour…how about a date? ;P

slobbers,
    Wilbur

A great post for newbies and an excellent reminder for everyone. Thanks for thinking of it, Honey!!

P.S. — The indigo-bubbliquin look may be a bit much, but I say keep the blue tongue. It looks good on you ;-)

10. The Ao4 says:

I like the green tongue….
    Ha roo roo roo!
    Play bows,
    Zim

11. Megan, Tokyo and Nous says:

interesting to know about the Dane colours. I often see advertisements for “rare” colours on kijiji (online classifieds) and wonder if they really are rare. While I agree that BYBs are awful, some registered (with the appropriate kennel club) breeders are just as bad. Have you read about the controversy of the blue merle collie that won at Westminister this year? His sire is a double merle (result of breeding two merles) AND he is deaf and almost fully blind. I don’t believe breeding a deaf and blind dog is ethical either.

You can google the controvery, or there is an article here with more info: http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2012/02/westminster-rewards-cruelty.html

Oh Megan – we had hear a bit about the controversy but not in great detail. That is very interesting what you said. While I think that a deaf & blind dog can be beautiful – you shouldn’t judge him for what isn’t his fault – I do think it’s wrong to uphold such a dog as the “best of breed” – never mind “Best in Show”, when he is a genetic time bomb – especially as the winner of shows like Westminster usually end up being bombarded with stud requests, no?

12. Courtney says:

Congrats on the win :)

Grrr, BYB make me so angry. I sometimes browse through Kijiji (similar to ‘Gumtree’) just to pine after Great Danes (lol) -and the amount of “special” dogs are ridiculous! I see all the ‘special’ Dane coulours you mentioned, but they do it with every breed. For example, I’ve seen “Rare” albino Dobermans…”Rare” black and white German Shepherds etc etc…it’s so frustrating and I just wish the laws were harsher against BYBs. Ugh.

Oh Courtney – that sounds awful! I didn’t realise that they did that in other breeds too but come to think of it now, there are unscrupulous people anywhere. Gosh, these people really have no conscience at all, to take advantage of poor dogs, like albinos…yeah, it’s a shame that the controls on BYB’s are so poor…

13. Mina&Maks&Mo says:

OH, I love the two last sentence sooo much!! They are so true, and hope this post will make people wanting a Dane to think about all what having a Dane is, and not just to be blinded by their elegance and size. And yeah, I think old plain Fawn Dane, especially in “Honey” form, is extra beuatiful, and special ;P.

Kisses for you and Muesli..

14. Congratulations on your win! That is very generous of you to help Great Dane Rescue.
    You are beautiful inside and out, Honey!

Love ya lots
    Mitch

15. Congrats Honey!!!!

Licks,
    Ruthie

16. Well done on winning Honey! I was voting nearly every day for you! :)

- Jasmine

17. Lorenza says:

Congratulations, Honey!
    And very nice of you to give your prize to the Great Dane Rescue Australia!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ’0 which is not a hashcash value.

18. Ah, how awesome that you won that! I LOVE Charlotte Reeves and envy everyone who lives in Australia. :-) I hope she comes to the US sometime. LOL

How great of you to donate the prize, you are the best! And the rare color of Honey made me laugh so hard!

19. Emma says:

Congratulations!!! I as very happy for you. You deserve it. I thinks it’s very generous and kind of you to donate the prize. You have a heart of gold.

Emma

20. Ainsley says:

Congratulations Honey!
    As you know, I have just posted on my blog about BYB and will have a future post on colouring at a later date.

21. Echo & Link says:

Dear Honey,

Me & family think it’s wonderfull you donate your price to this association!! It’s horrible that so many dogs are given up or mistreaten… My brother and I were in this position before our familly takes us home. It’s the worst thing for dog not to have any humans to take care of… Sorry for my mistakes, but I’m very sad, thinking about all this poor dogs.

I hope it will help some other doggies to get adopted, it would be a wondefull gift back !!!

About false breeder, I totaly agree with you, look isn’t so important, health is much more!! Those “breeders” do not care about their puppy’s heath or wellness, they just want to make money and that’s disgusting!!!

Bisous baveux ;-)

Echo & Link

22. Indiana Bones Taylor says:

Hi Honey – woohoo! I am so very glad you won – and thatis amazing that you donated your prize. My human tells me that it is always good to “give back” – it is what fills you up on the inside with good warm feelings. It is spring here in the US and it feels so good to get back outside for nice long walks again.

Take care – Your friend,

Indy Bones

23. Lassiter Chase & Benjamin says:

Congrats on the win Honey. And we love the photo of you. Your green tongue looks like you were eating a green lollipop and it turned your tongue green. So funny!

24. Kim, Luc, Kira and Jasmine says:

Hi Honey – congrats on the win!
    Luc and I are somewhat discomfited to say that we got Kira from a BYB. She is our first dog (and she acts like The First Dog too!). Luc had always wanted a dane, and he spotted an ad for dane pups on a community bulletin board. We knew a little about the breed, lots about the behaviour, training and nutrition, but little about the congenital disorders of the breed, nothing at all about breeders. We went to visit and the breeder had the mum, the 8 four-month old pups, plus a bulldog and a bull terrier. The dane mum, bulldog and terrier were clearly treated as pets, playing with the kids and having their own sofa. The house was clean. The pups were isolated from the rest of the house in a large enclosure in the basement. Everything seemed relatively OK to us, but there was just something that felt off about the whole thing. We almost didn’t choose a pup, but Kira was standing off from the rest of the litter, the only fawn in a litter of brindles. She looked me in the eye and I fell in love, so we bought her for $400. She is a perfectly gorgeous specimen of a dane in every way, with no health issues so far. The breeder told us her father is a registered dane from Pennsylvania (I remain skeptical to this day), the mom has no papers. She assured us that she knew the breed well and had done her research as to lineage. HOWEVER… in the last 3 years, we’ve seen ads all over the place for various litters of bulldogs, bull terriers and danes, over and over again, from this breeder. I feel rather bad about the whole thing, though we are super happy to have Kira, and consider ourselves lucky to not have had a bad experience with her. When we decided to get a second dane, we trolled the SPCA and other refuge websites until we saw Jasmine. It only took 3 days of looking: there are at this time over 20 danes to be given away in our little area of Quebec, from 4-months old to senior doggies! I really wish people would look at the option of adoption before they consider buying a dog from any kind of breeder or pet store. There are so many homeless animals in the world, in every country, that it seems irresponsible to me to breed a companion animal for any reason, unless you want to get into the show world. I don’t want to criticize the legitimate breeders because I think they have their place, however if they would sell their pet-quality (as opposed to show-quality) dogs for a more affordable price, more people would look to them first. There’s a big difference between the $400 we paid for Kira, and the $1200 local breeders want for their pet-quality puppies. Is any pup “worth” that price? I know breeders are in it for the money, but that opens a whole other topic of discussion.

Oh Kim & Luc – don’t feel bad! We know lots of people who didn’t realise and got their first Danes from BYB’s…but the great thing is that you know now and can help to educate others! :P

Yes, we agree with you about rescues – although I think a lot of the decent breeders we talk to actually say that they don’t make any money at all from breeding puppies (not if they’re doing it properly) – by the time you take into account all the health testing that they do and then proper prenatal care for the bitch and then proper care & socialisation for the puppies…they don’t earn back the $1,000+ they charge on each puppy. Of course, I don’t agree with the ones who charge really ridiculous $2,000 prices for “rare” colours…but I do think in a way, it’s good that decent breeders have pretty high prices for their pups coz it would put off a lot of people who are just buying on impulse or trying to get a “cheap deal”…

…and I don’t think, even if the decent breeders lowered their prices, it would stop the BYB’s – coz they just do it to make money and they prey on people’s emotions and use the “cute” factor. And sadly, they get a lot of the general public because they market themselves in those places that everyday people see (eg, online classifieds) and people who aren’t educated don’t realise that you should NEVER buy a puppy from those kinds of places. A really good breeder never has to advertise – they always have waiting lists for their pups! But sadly, a lot of the general public won’t know about them coz they’ll be too lazy to do the research properly and so they’ll just get a Dane pup from the first place they see selling one – rather than spending a lot of time researching & comparing all the options.

But in a way, we agree with you – with all the homless doggies in the world, sometimes you wonder if it’s really right to breed ANY puppy at all, no matter how “properly” it’s done!

25. Way to go Honey!!! We are so glad you won!

That genetic thing is so important. Nicki read just enough to make sure she went through a rescue… since the doggies have been left behind and the rescues screen the dogs (learn their issues) before sending them into a new home!

26. Honey, the puppies are here !!! I am streaming live already !

I think you’re very pretty, and I also am a new fan of the Blue Great Dane after seeing Rory the Blue Great Dane, who’s just a baby, and who also lives in Australia. I think I once told you that there was a brindle Great Dane named Jeffrey who lived about 2 miles from us. His companion was a miniature dachsund, and they were quite adorable together. I feel that if any breeder tells you a dog is “limited edition”, then you should grab your wallet and run away fast! A dog is not a car, after all, it’s a living creature, and, as such, all are limited editions!

28. You look just beautiful in that second photo.
    The first is a bit strange though… a green tongue!!! :D

29. Interesting about the different colors of Danes. I guess Chessies have that issue with ash colored dogs. But it is an acceptable color even though some breeders do not like it. We also have the unethical breeders who breed for the ash color and call it special, but it isn’t. It isn’t even rare. You just don’t see it much in the breed ring because brown is more favored by most judges.

30. Callie's Mom says:

Thank you so much for being such good ambassadors educating others about BYB’s. This issue is very near and dear to my heart because I too was ignorant of this practice and purchased my dear Callie from one. She had a beautiful gentle spirit but after 5 years of continual health issues, Addisons disease to cardio to kidney to hip etc., no amount of money could save her life. If anyone thinks that they are saving money, five years and forty thousand dollars of vet bills don’t even begin to illustrate the heartache. Keep up the good work; you have a wonderful way of conveying important issues and facts.

31. Callie's Mom says:

Thank you for educating the public on such an important issue. My dear Callie was a victim of a BYB; I was ignorant of the practice. If anyone thinks they are saving money, they are wrong; I had five years and forty thousand dollars in vet bills, and in the end no amount of money could save her from her poor genetics. She suffered lifelong from Addisons to heart to hip to kidney disease, with a five hundred dollar monthly prescription bill. Her spirit was gentle, her nature was loving, but she did not deserve the pain she endured graciously throughout her life. You are a wonderful ambassador to convey the facts of BYB’s. Please continue this important work, as the heartache far surpasses the monetary loss.

32. Congrats on winning!!! That is so awesome. :D And you’re awesome for donating it to the Dane rescue to raffle off.

I’m glad you mentioned this about the colors that BYBs breed for. It’s one of my biggest pet peeves! Thank you for helping to educate new dog owners. Hopefully someday we can be totally rid of BYBs and Puppy Mills!

33. We are so glad you won the competition and the prize went to a great cause!

One day our humans would love to adopt and and foster dog and/or Danes, but she has to wait until she has a bit more land :) *Hee! Hee!* Actually our human wants to do lots of things when she has a bit more land (which will hopefully be in the near future).

Some breeders can be very naughty can’t they – We have found that with all those new “doodle” crosses, the selling point is that they are healthier because the cross takes out the health problems of each breed! But that just isn’t true, if the breeder breeds unhealthy parents the pups can and probably will come out with those same health problems! It doesn not cancel anything out because they are crossed!

Genetic’s is super interesting, it was our humans favourite subject in Biology at school!

Licks and lots of slobber,
    Lexi and Jasper the Danes