Meeting an amorous Frenchman & Humping in doggies…

You know what? I’ve been meeting a lot of French Bulldoggies lately and I have to say – they sure have a way with the ladies! ;-) My humans have a soft spot for them too – Hsin-Yi thinks they are such funny little ‘characters’ and Paul adores them.

Hsin-Yi says French humans are supposed to be famous for being very romantic & always thinking about l’amour – well, maybe French doggies are the same!

In fact, a few weeks ago, we met a French Bulldog called Ozzie while out on one of my walks – and he was a real “loverboy”…his human said that Ozzie hadn’t had The Operation and so he spent all his time looking for girlfriends. Well, his eyes nearly popped out when he saw me! (Well, I AM a tall, leggy blonde! ;-) ) I hadn’t even finished climbing out of my car machine and he had already jumped the little wall around the park to rush out to snort sweet nothings in my ear…and then when we finally went into the park too, he just wouldn’t leave me alone!

He kept trying to hump me and hump me (although he couldn’t really reach higher than my knees :roll: ). Now, I’m a pretty tolerant girl but my longtime readers will know that there is one thing I can’t stand another doggie doing to me and that’s humping! I get very grumpy when another doggie tries to hump me – and I don’t know why but lots of doggies always want to! :-(

Anyway, so I kept telling Ozzie I wasn’t interested but he just wasn’t listening! Sheesh! How many times does a girl have to say it? No means NO!!! I had to really yell it in his face in the end for him to get the message. But Hsin-Yi said she was really proud of me ‘coz she knew how much I hate being humped and Ozzie just wasn’t leaving me alone…and sometimes, that kind of situation can turn into a dogfight…but I was a very good girl and told Ozzie off very nicely just by barking at him and didn’t get nasty with him….

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7psr61rYNY

If the movie won’t play, try here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7psr61rYNY

Don’t worry, Ozzie’s human did call him away and tell him off after that, to stop him harassing me, and we had a nice little walk together through the park. And alright, I admit it – I might have liked him a teeny bit and maybe I was flirting a little…! ;-)

Hsin-Yi says if you look at the very beginning of the video, you can see that I did a little bouncy playbow at him – and that my body language through the whole thing was still quite playful, even when I was telling him off…which is why she wasn’t really worried and she didn’t interfere too much. She knew that I didn’t mind him and sort of liked him. (I will put up with a LOT from doggies I like! :P ) But if she had seen my body get really stiff and my eyes ‘hard’ and my mouth clamped tight or snarling & showing teeth, then she would have quickly stepped in and separated us – but she thinks sometimes, it good to let us doggies sort things out ourselves if there isn’t any big danger.

It can be hard to work out when to interefere and when to let us doggies sort things out ourselves…Hsin-Yi only learnt to do this by watching lots & lots of interactions really carefully and learning to read our body language…she still doesn’t always get it right but she is getting better at it ( if she isn’t sure, she always “plays safe” and calls me away – coz if anything happens, of course, the bigger doggie is ALWAYS blamed :-( )

By the way – humping isn’t always about Feeling Sexy, you know. People always think that. I mean, it is one of the top reasons and even neutered/spayed doggies can still enjoy humping sometimes ‘coz it makes them feel good. And it isn’t just a boy thing – girl doggies can hump too. But Feeling Sexy isn’t the only reason and it’s certainly not an excuse! Whether a doggie has been neutered or not, he shouldn’t go around humping things all the time – otherwise that becomes a “problem behaviour”, which his humans will have to help him with.

Humping also isn’t always about Wanting To Take Over The World. That’s the other stupid thing that many humans think – that any doggie who humps is trying to be dominant. Yes, sometimes doggies hump for dominance reasons – but you gotta look at the whole picture. If that doggie is also eyeballing you & growling at you, guarding the sofa & not letting you on, being really rude and pushy, etc, etc…well, yeah, maybe he’s trying to be Dominant with you. But if he just normal most of the time and once in a blue moon, he humps your leg…well, he probably isn’t trying to take over the world! :P

Doggies also hump for lots of other reasons – like when they’re Feeling Stressy (“Socially Anxious”) or Over-Excited or sometimes, it’s even just a kind of Play! Sometimes, it is also a Learned Attention-Seeking Behaviour – coz some doggies figure out that they get lots of attention from their humans (people often get embarassed and make a big fuss) when they hump something, so it becomes like a naughty game to them.

The first time that Hsin-Yi played the “Wheelie Chair Game” with me – she was squealing very excitedly and spinning around in it – and I got so excited that I suddenly jumped on her and started humping her in the chair! 8-O She was a bit shocked coz she’d never seen me hump anything before (and I’m a pretty big girl…the whole floor was shaking – hee! hee!) – but that wasn’t ‘coz I was trying to be dominant or show Hsin-Yi that I’m the boss – I was just getting over-stimulated & over-excited from all her squealing and spinning around, because I had never seen it before! ;-)

So tell your humans not to freak out and start worrying if us doggies hump once in a while – it’s just “normal” behaviour. The only time they should get worried is if it becomes an obsessive-compulsive behaviour – like, if the doggie keeps doing it all the time and won’t stop when told to. Then it would be good to see a behaviourist to work out the problem. Especially coz different kinds of humping might need different ways of dealing with it – for example, if we’re just doing it to get attention, then ignoring us might work really well – but that won’t work so well if it’s become a self-rewarding OCD behaviour for other reasons.

Of course, just because it’s “normal” doesn’t mean that our humans have to put up with it if they don’t like it – they can still tell us to stop humping their leg or the sofa cushion or our stuffie or Grandma who is visiting… And it’s very important for our humans to step in if we are humping Other Doggies and the other doggie doesn’t like it (especially strangers you meet in the park!) – it is just very rude behaviour, really, so if we don’t stop it ourselves, our humans should step in and either call us away and distract us or use our training to teach us to “Leave It”.

Well, if you’re interested to find out more, here are a couple of great articles from Dr Ian Dunbar (Dog Star Daily) on humping and how to control it:

Tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Meeting an amorous Frenchman & Humping in doggies…

1. You handled Ozzie very well, Honey. You are a true lady!

My little (female) basset hound used to hump my big old airedale. I figured she was just reminding him who the boss was.

Sadly, Mango, too, does not understand “no means no” which is why Dexter is a boy.

Mango Momma

3. Echo says:

Hi Honey (& Hsin-Yi)

What a great post, Hsin-Yi is so right, body language is very important to us doggies, and sometimes, humans don’t understand us.

As a French Doggie, of course I know all about l’amour & romantisme, maybe I can teach you friend Ozzie how to treat a sweet Lady like you !
    Anymay, you are very cute together !!

Personnaly, my heart has already been taken by a sweet doberman-greyhound cross named Hera (she’s my goddess ;-) ).

Bisous baveux.

Echo

4. vero says:

French lovers, humping, … why does the trigram DSK come to my mind ?…

5. ludo says:

Well done Honey, you handled that very well. I really show my teeths and make squealy noises at over boisterous dogs. It looks mean. Some people we know got a young bouncy dog and I did that to him, mum and his owner let me for a bit to see if he would learn better doggy language and back off. He hasn’t yet so I still has to do mean teeth at him. I bet they listen more to you cos you is so tall. BOL.

Auntie Penny learnt attention seeking humping if any one cuddles she humps their legs to stop them cuddling. hehe. I only hump the air sometimes when I get really excited around new people, or when we used to stay round TNP’s less than we do now mum had a bag she would take over and as soon as I seed that bag I would start humping it.
    ~lickies, Ludo

6. Nice post! Minnie will hump Mack when at the dog park after we’ve been there awhile. I think she does it when she is bored. Mack doesn’t object, just either stands there and takes it or simply sits down, which ends the session. I do tell her “off” and she stops. It’s just embarrassing in public!

Drools and licks,
    Minnie and Mack and foster Mario

7. Charlotte :) says:

Yes, I definately agree it isnt always to do with with dominance, or feeling ‘sexy’ ;)It happens to neutured dogs too! My friend’s whippetxborder collie used to hump her when he was excited, and he was neutured at a young age. Well done Honey for dealing with her admirers :)
    All the best,
    Charlotte :)

8. melinda says:

Very nice format changes, love the new header, especially where you both are looking in the same direction.

Glad to be educated on the humpers, I’ve always thought “what the heck?” when it happens.

9. Hi Honey! I’m feeling very embarassed for the french now… well as long as you know that we’re not all like that (or are we………. :p )
    We love what you did with the re-landscaping! We adore changing things around on our blog too, and it doesn’t stop there: we change the house around at least twice a month!
    We are also very happy ’cause you’ve been blogging so much lately !!!
    Lots of slobbers!
    Indigo & Anais

• Echo says:

I agree, the new blog look is so cool !!

Our humans are just like your’s, always changing things around the house. Silly humans… Would they be happy if we displace our bed ?!?
      We should try once, it could be fun to see their faces ^.^

Bisous baveux.

Echo

10. sara, oreo and chewy says:

Misty used to hump the couch pillows every night after dinner. It was the funniest thing.

Honey, you were very patient with the bulldog. It is tough being beautiful.

11. hehe what a funny blog post!
    We had THREE humpy animals, thankfully we managed to train Jerry out of it, coz his wasn’t JUST humping… if you get what I mean! Even tho he’s been neutered!
    Rocky and Snoopy both take turns humping each other on occasion -when they are over excited. silly dogs!

12. Murphydog says:

Mom wants to know why its always the Frenchies & other English bullies who are so often not ‘snipped’? 9 times out of ten when we meet one of those breeds and its a male, its still intact. And being bullies, they already have the market cornered on attitude…even if they are fixed!

I started getting OCD about being humpy when I was about 9 months old. Mom nipped that in the bud real quick and got me fixed…it sure did a world of good! Now I only get humpy if I really like another dog, but Mom always tells me off, says I’m too big to be doing that to other dogs. Hmmpph. I don’t think you are ever too big!! BOL!

wags, wiggles & slobbers
    Murphydog

13. Paul Thompson says:

LOL every one lives honey lol that is just too funny my Dog sophie has the same problem if its male they want her lol

14. Lorenza says:

The nerve of that Ozzie, right?
    I wonder why those doggies do that!!!!
    Take care
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

I recently had to petsit a beagle for my mom for a week. My chi Chico was ALL over the beagle for the entire week. The beagle was very patient about it but I could tell he didn’t like it. I tried to keep the two separated as much as I could, but Chico still kept trying to hump the beagle.

I’m going to read those articles and see what they have to recommend for next time.

16. Irene says:

Excellent post! Very informative and so funny written!

Good job telling him off :)

18. Hi Honey, that was funny cause the little Bulldog was so small. Sometimes we hump each other but we never do it to other dogs. Mum says we’re nutty at times and we agree! hehe. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

Well, you are always the well behaved lady, aren’t you? It’s good that you told that rude Frenchman off! Maybe his parents should teach him better.

20. Heh! Heh! Kess humps too…usually on smaller kids…

Thanks for sharing your experience with Honey’s dental surgery. We’ve decided to go ahead with Kess’ dental work too.

21. Mina&Maks&Mo says:

My Mo also doesn’t like humping, but she isn’t so tolerant like you Honey. If dog sniffs her bottom once or twice ok, but if he continues doing it, she snaps on him, biting the “air” and wanting to go away from him (but usualy owners of the male think that’s just funny :/ ) … I am trying to teach her to be more tolerant, but think that she has the right to say what she thinks, and that it doesn’t mean she’s aggresive or so, just don’t like when dogs do that … She can play very nicely with some dogs and especially female dogs … And I try to avoid situation, if I see she’s uncomfortable with dog, better to snap on him, I always try to walk away from that dog and get her out of that situation … (Especially if I know the owner who won’t do anything to control her/his dog)

Oh, I think just snapping the air is already being very tolerant! I think Mo is absolutely right to do what she does – she has a right to tell another doggie off if she doesn’t like their behaviour and especially if their humans aren’t doing anything about it!

Yes, Hsin-Yi is like you – she tries to protect me by removing me from the situation if it looks like I’m finding it too stressy or it’s unfair to me and might make me too grumpy.

• Mina&Maks&Mo says:

Oh, then great :) She just snaps the air and tries to move away from them.
        And, I am tying to do exactly as Hsin-Yi, because really most dogs (at least here) are very rude and if something would happened, I’m sure my dog would be the one who’ll get blamed, because she’s “dangerous breed” …

Have a great weekend,
        Mina

22. Cheryl Dunkin says:

That is good to know, Bella Sue only humps one thing and that is her stuffed Dinosaur which is about the same size as she is. But she humps it so hard it appears she is having an orgasm at the end, it is quite funny and shocking when people see it the first time. I wonder if female doggies can orgasm from agressive humping? any idea?

Gosh, Cheryl – I have no idea! One of the reasons we spayed Honey as early as we could was so we wouldn’t have to go into this territory!! ;-) (*NOT saying that spaying/neutering would stop humping – but just that we were hoping to avoid getting involved with hormones and all that!)

23. Garth Riley says:

Excellent post, Honey. Many humans just don’t understand doggie humping, so I like that you addressed the myths about it. And the video of the french bulldog is hilarious! I especially like the string of drool around your snout!!!

Garth

24. Ozzie sure did not want to take no for an answer…lol.

25. What a cool post. I have always wondered about all the reasons about why doggies hump.

26. Frenchies are such cool little dogs!! If our humans were to get a small dog they would probably go for a Frenchies :)

Ahh the hump, we are prime targets!! Another behaviour that could mean so many different things, our human tends to use the worse reason when explaining to her clients why their dog is humping – all the softer ones like, “he’s excited”, “he’s playing”, his “hormones” have taken over tend to give the owners an “excuse” why their dog does it and it doens’t make them want to fix the problem because it’s a nice reason! Of course this is when talking to people who have a dog that mounts alot – not ones that does it once in a while :)

*Hee! Hee!* For most people to many reasons can complicate things :P

Lots of slobbers,
    Lexi and Jasper the Danes

27. Great post!!! When I was a kid I was told that humping was a sign of dominance, but from just watching dog interactions I eventually figured out on my own that it isn’t always a sign of dominance. In fact we have a really funny game we play here. Jackal LOVES to play tug. Storm doesn’t like to be left out, but she doesn’t really like to tug (never has, might be a tooth issue, but the vet has looked at them and says her teeth are fine, she’s always been a wimp though, dunno). So when I’m playing tug with Jackal, Storm will come over and mount him (she doesn’t hump, just mounts) to make him turn loose of the toy. They they will play bitey face a second and he’ll go back for the toy. And over and over it goes. To me it’s funny because Storm is being jealous or feeling left out or something, but doesn’t want to play the game we’re playing so she uses mounting to distract him so he will play with her. It makes me laugh.