A visit to Chew Chew Pet Cafe!

Me & Muesli had a great adventure yesterday – my humans took us to the coolest place!

Can you guess where I was?

At a cafe just for doggies (and kitties)! It’s the Chew Chew Pet Restaurant in Wollstonecraft, on the North Shore of Sydney. Yes, I have been to lots of cafes before with my humans but this one is different: it only serves yummies for doggies – NOT for humans! :P (although there is a cafe next door for humans where they can get their coffees & stuff and bring it over)

The cafe’s is owned by a lovely Japanese human called Naoko, who is a Pet Nutrionist. She gives consultations to help doggies & kitties with health problems, such as dry skin itchies or stinky bodies or runny tummies or lots of other kinds of sickies.

She was very impressed when she saw me, though – she couldn’t believe that I was a senior doggie! She said I am in such good condition, with a lovely glossy coat and shiny eyes and lots of energy and good appetite and no stinky breath or any doggie ‘BO’ at all. Plus I can move really well – I showed her how I could back up and turn around in the tiny space of the cafe. She asked my humans what they feed me and when they explained my Raw Diet, she was very, very impressed! :P

Naoko makes lots of organic yummies & meals for doggies & kitties based on natural Japanese recipes. She opened the pet restaurant so that doggies and kitties can have somewhere fun to go with their humans and enjoy some yummies at the same time.

Yes, you heard me right – kitties too. Although they can only go to the cafe by private booking – after 3pm, when the cafe/shop shuts – so that there is no danger from other doggies visiting too.

So that is what my humans did: made a booking for me & Muesli on Sat afternoon, at 4pm. It was perfect ‘coz it was a horrible, cold, wet rainy day – so my humans told me that instead of taking me for my usual walk, we were going to Walk My Tummy instead – hee! hee!

Actually, even if Muesli hadn’t come with us, Hsin-Yi would only have taken me to the cafe on a private booking – ‘coz it’s such a tiny place that it would have been too risky & stressy to put me in there with lots of strange doggies (remember the Golden Rule about putting stranger adult doggies together in a confined space? Bad Idea! ;-) ) Most of Chew Chew’s customers seem to be little toy doggies – although there is a grass area outside opposite the cafe where you can sit on a nice, sunny day, so big doggies can sit there wth their humans. Or they can do a private booking like we did! ;-)

Mm-mm…me & Muesli had a great time deciding what to choose from the menu. Everything looked so delicious!

In the end, I chose a Lamb Omelette and a Heart-Shaped, Pressed Tuna Sushi. (Most doggies usually just get one meal but I got to order 2 Mains coz I’m a big girl! ;-) ) Muesli chose the Chicken with Jelly & Bonito Flakes.

(I wanted the Doggie Cappucino & Waffles too but Hsin-Yi said I had already ordered 2 main courses and my eyes were being bigger than my tummy! :twisted: )

While we were waiting for our orders to come, me & Muesli had a great time exploring around the restaurant…which is also a little shop as well, selling all the organic treats & yummies that Naoko makes. (You can also buy them online through their website)

There were lots of wonderful-smelling treats & cookies on the shelves – just at the perfect height for my nose – oh, it was really hard to resist!!

My humans weren’t sure how Muesli would react to the outing – ‘coz you know she is normally such a scaredy-cat about new places and especially new people. They really brought her along just as an “experiment” and because usually, there are no places at all that you can take kitties – so this was just too good to pass up!

And Muesli was actually much better than we all thought – she didn’t seem too freaked out at all. Especially once she found a nice little hidey-spot – she was very happy! ;-)

Come on! When are the yummies coming? I’m starving!!

Oh! It’s here! It’s here!!

I was so excited that I jumped to give Naoko my paw – without anybody asking me for a trick or anything! ;-) Well, you know I’m a very “paw-y” doggie – Hsin-Yi actually never had to teach me to Shake Paws ‘coz it was just something I did naturally! Whenever I meet someone that I really like, I’ll give them my paw all by myself – and whenever I see something I really want, I’ll also give my paw! :D

Ooh…the smell…the smell…what do you mean I have to Wait? Oh, hurry up and take your stupid picture!!

I couldn’t believe it – I had barely swallowed the last mouth of that yummy Tuna Sushi when another plate appeared! This one smelled even more yummy! It was my Lamb Omelette! And Muesli got her Chicken with Jelly & Bonito Flakes too…

Oh, doing the Wait command for this one was torture!!!!

Finally!!

Muesli didn’t eat very much of hers. I offered to finish it for her – but Naoko said she could put it in a doggy-bag, er – I mean, kitty-bag for us to take home.

Oh! All too soon, it was time to go home (I tried to convince Hsin-Yi that I still had space in my tummy for the Doggie Cappucino and Waffles but she didn’t believe me…humph!).

Just a family photo before we leave!

Thank you so much, Naoko for having me. I had a great time!

Hmm…I could get used to this “Walking The Tummy” thing…sure hope we do it again soon! ;-)

And here’s a little movie of my visit to the Chew Chew Pet Cafe…look, I didn’t even drool too much when the yummies came out. Aren’t you proud of me? :P

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5mfHv1_8Yk

If the movie doesn’t play, try here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5mfHv1_8Yk

• Kitchen

From top-spec cookers to designer coffee machines, John Lewis has everything you need to make your kitchen the heart of the home.

• Cameras

Find digital cameras that fit your needs perfectly at John Lewis. Our experts can guide you through the confusing maze of megapixels.

• Laundry

In the market for a new integrated washing machine? John Lewis has a great range, and we’ll even dispose of your old one for you.

• Office

With a huge range of laptops available and expert advice on hand, John Lewis can help you find your perfect one.

• Out and About

From the shuffle to the nano, John Lewis has iPods to suit your needs and keep your ears entertained while you’re on the move.

Tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to A visit to Chew Chew Pet Cafe!

1. Angus & Milo's Adventures says:

Oh Honey & Muesli ! That looks like a truly pawesome adventure that you went on with your humans. Being made to wait for all those amazing yummies was very cruel after all human don’t wait before eating yummies so I don’t think it’s fair that they ask us to. I hope you get go again and try the Doggie Cappuccino & Waffles.

From Milo & Jet

2. Icelandic Ally from NYC says:

That looked sooooooooooooooo yummi. I AM DROOLING over here… and that is not a good look for a human lady, believe me. :D

3. blue-sea says:

Wow, what a nice place to visit Honey. Wish I had such a place where I live to walk my tummy. :)

4. Veronique Marouze says:

Amazing! It must be yummy.
    Honey, I’m very impressed by your good manners!

5. You and Meusli are very lucky to have your humans. And the pet cafe looks like a special, special place. We saw those waffle things on the take out menu, maybe you could get one “to go” next time? Hope it is soon.

gussie

6. Sam says:

What an awesome place! I wish we had something like that here!

7. sara, oreo and chewy says:

What a wonderful idea! I’ve never seen anything like it! Adorable.

8. Charlotte :) says:

Aww that looks so lovely! What a lovely lady! Its a really good idea! Awww how lovely! I wish we had somewhere like that in England (humph :( ) tee hee :)

Charlotte

9. Echo says:

Ho Honey, what a wonderfull place!!

We’ve never seen a place like that before! We tougth you went to a school, because we saw the pictures on the wall. You and Muesly must have really enjoy your self, the food looks so yummy.

I love the photo of you giving your paw, it’s very sweet! I am a paw-y dog too!! I give my paw a lot, for food, cuddles and even to my bro, link, when I want to play with him. It make Maïté laught a lot!

Link is much more a nose-y dog, always sniffing around and discoving new thing by touching its. Maïté never succeed to make him giving his paw :-( Maybe Hsin-Yi has an “astuce” for that?

Bisous baveux.

Echo

Hi Echo – we had to look up “astuce” coz Hsin-Yi wasn’t sure what it meant – ha! ha!! ;-)

Some doggies just don’t like to give their paws so much – and that is OK. I don’t particularly like to hold things in my mouth – and so Hsin-Yi finds those kinds of tricks very hard to teach me. Even if I pick something up, I won’t hold it for very long…

So sometimes, it’s easier just to focus on the “natural talents” that a dog is good at! ;-) There are lots of interesting tricks that you can do using your nose to push things – if Link likes to use his nose. For example, your human can teach him to push a drawer or a door shut – or to push a ball around with his nose! :-) Hsin-Yi tried to teach me those tricks but it was much harder for me coz I kept trying to use my paw, instead of my nose! ;-)

But anyway, about the paw – you can still try to teach this using clicker training. Some people suggest doing things like tapping or tickling the back of the dog’s paw to make him raise it – and then the minute he does, C&T. But Hsin-Yi prefers to train “hands-off” – so she usually tries to just “capture” the behaviour: she asks the dog to sit and holds a treat above the dog’s nose, to one side – then watches his front paws carefully, with her finger ready on the clicker. As the dog shifts his weight and raises up slightly to reach the treat, he will usually raise one paw slightly off the ground (this is why you hold the treat to one side – to make the dog unbalanced) – you CLICK & treat as soon as you see one paw raised slightly.

In the beginning, it doesn’t matter if the paw doesn’t come completely off the ground – remember, baby steps! So you can click when you see the dog just SHIFT his weight to one side and off one paw – this will give him the idea that he must lift his paw to earn the click. Then gradually shape him giving higher & higher paw lifts.

Don’t try to put a verbal cue to it until he is offering his paw reliably. Once you add the verbal cue (we use “Shake” because “Paw” sounds too much like “Paul” – what would you say in French?) & the physical cue (you offering your hand) – and he is responding well, then you can start to fade the clicker away.

Hsin-Yi used this method to teach Muesli to give her paw. Here is the link to the post with the video – which you may find helpful. If it works for a cat, then hopefully it will work for Link too! :-)
      http://www.bighoneydog.com/2011/05/autumndays-high5/ (sorry – you will have to scroll to the bottom to see the video!)

Good luck and do let us know how you get on!! :P

ps. oh, Echo – Hsin-Yi wants to say – please thank your human for her WONDERFUL long email! It was so lovely to read and we so appreciate it! Hsin-Yi is so sorry – she is so busy at the moment that she hasn’t had time to reply yet but she will try to do it soon! :P

SO jealous!! I don’t think the States have anything like this anywhere. If they do, they aren’t around where I live. Sydney rocks.

11. Cindy says:

What a cool place! It looked like you sure enjoyed yourself Honey. I think Museli tolerated being there, but like most kitties would rather be at home.

Cindy

12. Ka says:

That looked so cool! I’m glad Muesli got to go!

13. Mina&Maks&Mo says:

wow, that looks great!!! can’t believe something like that actually exists!! Here even the pet nutritionist are something out of a SF movie :D

Honey, I also think it’s really unfair that you couldn’t try waffels and cappucino, it looks delicious, but I’m sure you’ll get the chance to pick from the menu again very soon.

Take care,
    Mina

14. What a fun adventure that was for you and Muesli, Honey! Your meals looked delicious! We loved the video!

15. Elena says:

That omelette seems really yummy… I’m drooling like a dog!
    Honey you’re such a lucky dog! We don’t have this kind of cool things in our city… poor Lyra… no dinner at the restaurant for her!

Why is Muesly wearing an harness? It’s just to grab her easily or is she a leash walker too?

Oh Elena – my humans trained Muesli to wear a harness & walk on leash when she was a baby kitty because they thought this might be useful for later. We actually took her to the cafe in her pink carrier – but she wore her harness anyway (and we took her leash) just in case – just to have more options – because we weren’t exactly sure what the setup in the cafe would be. Having her on leash gives her some freedom, while still keeping control over her movements. As it was, we didn’t have to worry because the restaurant was totally shut up and just private for us – and there weren’t any dangerous places that Muesli couldn’t go into – so we could just let her roam around freely.

You have very sharp eyes! ;-)

• Elena says:

It’s a very smart method.

Thank you for your answer. I don’t know much about cats but I am very curious!

Elena

16. Cinnamon says:

Wow!!!! I am sooooo jealous, Honey!!! I wish there were a place like that in Auckland! What I especially like about the Chew Chew restaurant is that you can make a private booking. As you know, I am not very comfortable being with unfamiliar doggies or kitties. So, if we can book the whole place privately, that will be great!

Also, thank you for sharing a video of your visit to the restaurant. I enjoyed watching it. I could see how much you enjoyed the meal, and Muesli also looked like having fun even though she may not have eaten much.

Cinnamon the Beagle

17. Cinnamon says:

Wow!!! I am soooooo jealous, Honey!! I wish there were a place like this in Auckland! What I especially like about this place is that you can make a private booking, which is good for doggies like me who doesn’t feel comfortable being with unfamiliar doggies or kitties.

Thank you for sharing a video of your visit to the Chew Chew restaurant! I enjoyed watching it, as I could see how much you enjoyed the meal and that Muesli was also having fun even though she may not have eaten much.

Cinnamon the Beagle

18. Garth Riley says:

That looks wonderful!!! I want to move to Australia!

19. That looks like a really cool place to go! :)

– Jasmine

20. Bowie says:

Wow! Cool cafe! How I WISH I can teleport there.

\(^_^)/
    Bowie

21. Oh Honey, you’re such a good and patient girl waiting for your human to take photos of your food before you ate it. I’m fairly certain Boris would eat everything in sight, which is why he’ll have to wait until he’s a well trained dog to go to anything like this :)

22. Snoopy toy toy says:

Wow! What a lovely place for doggies. I wish there is such cafe at my place too. You know, many of the indoor restaurants here put up signs: “Pets are no allowed”.So sad, many of the humans often thought that we doggies are dirty etc etc.

23. Oh wow, what an awesome cafe. For doggies AND kitties. You had incredibly good manners and I am sure Hsin-Yi will take you back for doggie-cino and waffles another time.

Oh, if I lived in Sydney, I’d go there for sure! I love the idea of a place where dogs are welcome, not just tolerated in order to entice the humans to spend money there.

25. That is the coolest place!!! I love that idea!
    How lucky of you and Muesli! And the food looked really good too!

26. Emma says:

Emma

27. Emma says:

You two are so very lucky to have a restaurant all to yourselves. The foods looked very yummy. I do think Hsin-Yi should have let you get those waffles to go…geesh ;)

Emma

28. Honey and Muesli you two are the luckiest ever! What a fabulous place and even more so to have it all to yourselves. The food looked so good and we drooled over it (even mum haha). Glad you had such a good time. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

29. niveditha says:

i hope u had a great time in the chew chew cafe!!
    of course i am proud of u.
    love you!!!!!!

30. What a great idea for a cafe! The food looked great, and Honey you ete your meals so delicately! I, Lexi am and absolute pig – I would have nearly swollowed that whole *Hee! Hee!*

Lots of slobbers,
    Lexi and Jasper the Danes

31. Lassiter Chase & Benjamin says:

Wow Honey and Musesli! You were so lucky to go to a pet restaurant! I bet the humans were the ones drooling at the food this time! Did you offer to share some of it with them? We loved the little carrot hearts on the omelette dish.

What a cool cafe and you are such a polite eater!

33. Looks like you had a better time than Muesli! But all of your foods looked good!

34. Lucille says:

This is really wonderful!!!!
    I had never heard of a similar place, I am SOOOOO jelous you have a restaurant for doggies & kitties….. I must find out if it exists anywhere in italy!!!
    Well done Honey, you explained that no matter what, you are still the best pet of the family :D!!!
    ciao Lucille

35. Roo says:

What a wonderful place you have found! Oh how I wish there was a place like that here! Honey your omelet was sooooo to DROOL for! NOMMERS! And the owner even had a yard you could enjoy.Wow! Great outing :)

Waggin at ya,
    Roo

36. That sure looks like a fun place. My kitty cat would probably not eat anything there. She likes one kind of food and that is it…lol…unless there is cheese, she likes that.

37. Wow that place is sooo cool!!! :D We need one of those lol.

Muesli did so well! She didn’t seem freaked out at all. That’s awesome. :)