Daily walkies & French pressies!

The weather is starting to get hot again now…summer is coming to Australia! :-( In the last few months, my human, Hsin-Yi, had been able to take me for my daily walk in the middle of the day (eg. 11am or 2pm)  because it was winter and the weather was nice & cool, even in the daytime. And it was so lovely because very few people would be about and we’d have the whole park to ourselves!

On one of our cold, late night walks…

But now we have to start walking later in the afternoon/evening – or first thing in the morning. My humans believe it’s very important for doggies to get an outing every day, so they always organise their schedule to make sure that they fit my walk in, no matter how busy they get (well, unless someone is sickie or some special thing is happening, like moving home! ;-) )

They think this is one of the most important, basic commitments if you want to have a doggie and there should be no excuses (of course, some humans have special sickies or other special circumstances but that’s different). It’s like humans having a shower every day – you just find the time to do it, right? It doesn’t have to be a long walk – but there should just be A walk, just to get out of the house, stretch our legs and have a change of scene (or if you have a really big garden, then at least some kind of fun game in the garden).

People are always asking my humans how they keep me in such good condition for my age – well, we think one of the reasons is taking me out every day. It’s much healthier for doggies to have little bits of regular, daily exercise than to do nothing for days and then try to make up for it by having Huge Binge Hikes or Crazy Marathon Plays every so often. That’s how you get injuries and ouchies easily and it doesn’t keep your heart as healthy. (Doctors say the same thing for humans too). Plus it doesn’t help our behaviour either ‘coz doggies who don’t get out regularly get Crazy Hyper when they DO finally get a walk or play – and then it’s really hard for our humans to control our behaviour & teach us manners. It’s like setting us up to fail. :-(

So yeah – although they usually do my walk in the afternoon, if Hsin-Yi knows that she has to go out in the afternoon/evening, she’ll make sure that she makes time to take me for my walk in the morning – even if this means that she’ll have to do more work later at night (or if Paul gets home earlier, then he takes me for a really late walk in the dark).

Well, yesterday Hsin-Yi had to go to a writer’s meeting in the evening…so we went for an early morning walk before breakfast. Look how sunny it was already at 8am!

It was the first time that I had had a proper, off-leash run in a park since my Scary Glaucoma Sickie & Hospital Stay last week – we have been doing mostly leash walks until now – ooh, it was good to stretch my legs!

* Note from Hsin-Yi: Honey behaved pretty much as normal – except that she “lost” me three times, which was really interesting. Usually, she keeps within a certain radius around us, of her own accord, and is always checking where we are…and if she pauses to sniff something, she has no trouble finding us and catching up again…in fact, I do sometimes play the “hide & seek” game with her – but I have to really wait until she is preoccupied, to hide and even if I’m hiding in a bush, she can usually find me quite quickly.

But yesterday, she seemed to keep having trouble finding me, even without me hiding! She would pause to sniff something – then look up and suddenly seem to “panic” and start running around in circles, frantically looking for me – even though I was standing not that far away and calling & calling her name – took her a while to find me. It probably didn’t help that I was standing still – dogs find movement much easier to detect. That was really the first time I noticed her “struggling” with the loss of her sight. I guess we’ll just have to make sure we always stay close to her from now on and to keep calling to her all the time and moving around a bit, so that she can see & find us more easily.

I found a lovely stinky patch of grass and had a good roll too…ahh, I’ve missed that!

And I had a good search for possums in the trees!

Then Hsin-Yi saw a bench that was a good height so she propped the camera machine up on it and we did a self-timer picture of the 2 of us sitting together! :P

But the exciting morning wasn’t over yet…Guess what I found when we got home?

A parcel from France! For me & Muesli!! It was from my blog friends, Echo & Link the French Huskies. They said they wanted to send us something to say thank you for me & Hsin-Yi helping them with clicker training & inspiring them with my blog. Echo & Link are both rescue doggies and they have been stressy about some things – and the clicker training has really helped them feel calmer and also bond with their humans. Oh, we’re really glad we could help in any way. You really didn’t have to send anything – but it was so sweet of you to!  Merci beaucoup, Echo! Merci beaucoup, Link! You know how much I love parcels…

…especially OPENING them! Ha-hah!!

Ooh! Look what was inside! The most gorgeous little Pink Lamb Stuffie!

And a cute Star Stuffie too…

Muesli came over to see what the fuss was all about. Hmm…I didn’t like way she was eyeing my new stuffies, though…GO AWAY, Muesli! They’re mine!!

Anyway, Echo & Link were so nice – they’d sent something for Muesli too! Two cute little mouse toys with a little bobble ball on the end of their elastic tails…

…Muesli LOVED them! Well, um, look…she went a bit crazy playing with them…

But that’s not all! Echo & Link had also got Muesli a beautiful new collar! Isn’t it gorgeous?

Oh, but there was still more in the box! Echo & Link had got Hsin-Yi a present too. It was a really cool treat bag and they put a note with it saying it was for Hsin-Yi to use when doing trainings with me. Well! Echo & Link have obviously forgotten what a big doggie I am – Hee! Hee!  :lol: Who needs Hsin-Yi?…I can wear it myself!

I can do tricks by myself…and give treats to myself too! Ha! Ha! :twisted:

Oh, thank you so much, Echo & Link for sending so many wonderful presents!! C’est tellement gentil et généreux! :D

******

PS 1. Favour for the ‘Big Honey Dog book’?

You know that Hsin-Yi is trying to write a children’s book starring ME? :P Well, she’s still working on Chapter 1 and she’s got this idea for a character but she’s not sure if she’s right…so she was wondering if she could ask the opinion of any human pups who might be reading my blog? If any of you have human pups aged about 8 ~12 or you spend a lot of time with human pups that age – and you don’t mind volunteering – could you please leave a comment to let us know? Then Hsin-Yi can email you her question. Thank you! (you don’t have to write your email publicly in the comment itself – we can find it through the blogging software)

PS 2. Sorry!

We’re even MORE behind now with visiting blog friends and responding to messages! :-(  We had just started to catch up a bit after Hsin-Yi got back from Taiwan and then things got so crazy last week with my Glaucoma Sickie & Michelle’s visit and stuff…so now we’re even more behind than before. But Hsin-Yi says she’s going to spend a lot of this weekend helping me catch up – so I’m so sorry if you haven’t heard from me for a while – but we’ll be coming round soon! :P

29 Responses to Daily walkies & French pressies!

1. Blue-Sea says:

Hey Honey. So nice to see u hale and hearty, running and walking and having general fun. And Hsin-Yi, you and my mom are friends, and U know mom is a writer too, though she has no human pups of her own, if she can help u in any way with anything related to the book you writing, please let her know. She would be so happy to help u in any way. She says writing is such a lonely job and any support with people who understand the profession, even if its just talking about a problem, helps.

Lots of love,
    Blue-sea and Mom

2. jet says:

When Barbie was first learning her recall I found that it help that I wave my arms around above my head. For a while it seemed like she had trouble telling one human from another! We all look the same. :) Anyway since you are a small human like me, it may be that you need to make big movements for Honey to see how. She will probably get used to it though and adjust by moving her head more, and not getting too stressy.

3. Nightshade says:

Love the pictures of you, Honey, running around in the park! So nice to see you’re coping fine with the loss of eyesight!
    Keep enjoying life and having fun as much as you can!!

And what wonderful presents arrived for you and Muesli all the way from France! You both look happy! A very nice and flashy collar for Muesli, and those stuffed mice are one of the favourites over here too. The cats here have the same among their toys and enjoy playing with them, so no wonder Muesli loves them too. :)
    You got some lovely new stuffies!
    My human got me some new stuffies too, a monkey and an elephant, but she only lets me have one at a time and is saving the other one for when the first one needs replacing. That’s so evil, isn’t it? Why can’t she just let me have both??

Anyways, a big hug and slobbery kiss to you, Honey!
    from your Belgian friend, Killian
    and my human,
    Karolien

4. Bernard Yeo says:

It really nice to hear of your adventure outdoors, your off-leash romp, rolling in the grass and just having loads of fun and carefree moments. You are adapting incredibly well to the loss of your eyesight. Something for us humans to think about when it comes to coping with disabilities :) We enjoyed the photographs on your blog too. Indeed a picture is worth a thousand words :)
    Stay healthy and thanks for being an inspiration.

Scott, Charity and Mercy send their Schnauzer love and kissies.

5. You look so happy roaching on your stinky patch of grass, Honey!
    What super nice gifts Echo and Link sent you!

6. sara, oreo and chewy says:

Its always fun to get a package!
    Glad to see you got out for a fun walk :)

Hi, Hsin-Yi, I taught primary school kids for thirty years, so if you’d like an opinion from me, just email me.

Lovely to see Honey back enjoying the park. I was wondering whether she is so accepting of her newly ‘different’ eyesight that she thinks you’ve disappeared when she turns her eye in that direction and doesn’t see you. Of course, it’s hard enough to know what other humans experience of the world, let alone dogs. But with a human you can ask and they can try to explain their experience. With a dog we can only go on behaviour and try our darndest to make sure they are happy.

8. Sam says:

When Cisco first went blind (I hope you don’t mind me sharing my stories with her) I wore a bell when I took her for walks. When I let her off leash, she could follow the sound of the bell easier than my voice. Also, we bought her balls with bells and were able to still play catch with her. :D

How nice to receive pressies!

Oh, of course we don’t mind you sharing your stories – we really appreciate you taking the time! And it may be useful to others reading this too. That is a great idea about the bell – I will keep it in mind! :-)

Hey Honey –

So happy to see that everything is basically back to normal. A good roll and a possum hunt were awesome ways to spend the day.

I absolutely love the pics of you pouncing on your package… you look just like a kid at Christmas :-).

Hugs & Slobbers from Melanie & Grendel

10. Dorothy S in Michigan says:

It was SO NICE to read Honey’s voice again the other day! There is nothing wrong with reading Hsin-Yi’s words, but she writes a “great Honey”.

I have no special qualifications to consult on children’s books, except that a LONG time ago I HAD children.

If you want to contact me anyway you know how to reach me.

PS. Half of a children’s book is the illustrations (unless you are writing for older children). Do you have anyone in mind? Unless you are using photos?!?

Hi Dorothy – there are several different types of “children’s books” – the main divisions are: Picture Books, Early Readers/Chapter Books (when children first start reading themselves), Middle Grade (8 ~ 12) and Young Adult (12+). The book I’m writing is going to fall into the Middle Grade age group, I think – as YA tends to have a lot of teenage anguish and relationships drama and romance and I won’t have that in my story! ;-) I like the straightforward adventure & mystery plotlines of middle grade.

Only books in the Picture Group category have a lot of illustrations and they are usually not done by the author (unless you’re very artistic!) but by a professional illustrator who collaborates with you on the book. The Early Readers/Chapter books may have a few black & white drawings throughout the book but are mainly text. Middle Grade & YA have no illustrations, unless it’s a map or diagram that’s necessary to the story. Kids in those age groups actually resist books with pictures, as they feel they are “baby-ish” – it is a time when you’re encouraged to make pictures yourself in your head. The story I’m planning to write is going to be a bit more complex and a lot “darker” than Honey’s usual blog posts.

So yeah, I won’t be having any pictures in my story – other than perhaps on the cover. But if I ever get lucky enough as to get published, that will be controlled by the publisher anyway (unless I decide to self-publish).

Thanks also for the offer to help with my book! At this stage, I think I really need opinions from “real” kids as their thoughts are probably the most relevant! :-) So if you do know of any 8 ~ 12+ year olds that might be willing to help, then please let me know! :-)

11. Lady says:

So happy to see you Honey! Hope you feel better! and have lots of fun!
    Love the pictures! Thank you Hsin-Yi.

12. Hege Heimdal says:

Hello,
    I am so happy that Honey has recovered so well. I have just recently startet following her blogg and I enjoy it wery much!
    I have a son aged 11, and although we only have two cats i am sure he would be happy to help you with any questions you might have.
    Best wishes from Norway :)

13. melinda says:

Hsin-Yi, Coincidentally My 23 year old son and I were discussing best loved literature recently, he commented on how he really enjoyed the middle school (your target age group) book series due to their simplicity. He liked how the characters, venues and plot were clearly defined without being too flowery in description, or unnecessarily wordy. If you want opinion as to what he enjoyed please feel free to email.

I appreciate how you pointed out the importance of observing your pet in their daily scope of activities for any changes. I have sometimes been considered a helicopter pet parent because I can detect the smallest change from norm; as example of Rex having a slight favoring to his back left leg, however my vigilance allowed for him to receive surgery for a torn cruciate TPLO, before becoming inoperable.

Honey you look as beautiful as ever and love the new header for the website.

14. Howdy All, how wonderful to see photos of Honey in the park enjoying herself. It made us all smile. Great pressies from your friends from France. They looked like great fun. Have a wonderful relaxing weekend. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory (and Carol)

I’m glad you’ve gotten back outside to play. It’s getting cold here, and I forget that you’re heading into summer! And then to get a box of presents after your grand off-leash adventure! Well, what a glorious day that has been!

Tell Hsin-Yi that not only do I have a 12 year old human pup, I have raised 8 others, and I’d be happy to help her if she wants my input into her book. You have my email, right? Hope you’re having a wonderful weekend.

16. McKenzie says:

Well I’m fourteen but I remember being twelve very well and I babysit a 10 year old all the time I can help if you would likev:)

17. niveditha says:

look like u had a nice week after tour sickie. still little bit worried about your eye. take good care of them sweet doll!!!
    hoping to see more adventure from u!!!!!!!!!

What awesome pressies. You looked very excited

19. I have four boys, age 7, 9, 10 and 14. Ask away!?! and we’ve got a Great Dane. We’d LOVE to help with any questions for your character for your book.
    Paige Whitley
    paigewhitley@me.com

20. Tucker says:

If I was doing tricks and rewarding myself I’d make sure to get the jackpot on the first try, BOL.

woof – Tucker

21. JAN CORLES says:

Hi Sinny, my grandaughter in the gold coast is 8 1/2 I am sure Kiana would love to help if she can.Just let me know if you would like to get in touch with her, she has her own Email address.
    Jan, moss, onny and Jasper

22. Oh my goodness Honey!! You really are a genius! Doing tricks and giving yourself a treat is so smart. :D I like YOUR new treat pouch hehehehe.

I’m glad you got to go to the park and had so much fun. Just be careful about losing Hsin-Yi. You know she probably needs your help to find the way back home since humans don’t have a very good sense of direction or sense of smell! :D

23. Marmalade says:

Hi Honey! What great toys you received. The stuffies are so cute & Muesli must be in heaven with the little mice! I am so glad to see you looking so good, especially after the horrible eye ouchie.
    My human pup, Delaney, is 14. And although a little older than the age range you are looking for, Delaney loves to read (Lisa says maybe a wee bit too much) and write stories. I am sure she wouldn’t mind to talk to you!

24. Lassiter Chase and Benjamin says:

Honey, that is such a clever idea for you to wear the treat bag and reward yourself when necessary! You are silly, Honey!

25. Your summer is coming and our winter will eventually arrive. That means the end to hunt test season here and hopefully I will be able to keep up with my blog reading.

Honey it looks like you had a great time in the park. I bet the more you are off lead the better you will get at finding Hsin-Yi when you are out and about. And didn’t you and Muesli get some great presents. The pictures of Muesli are beautiful. I know it is your blog and all, but they are really nice. ;)

26. echo says:

What great pictures !! We are so glad you like our presents !!
    We would have stop by sooner but stupid internet…
    Muesly is so gorgeous with the collar, she looks so serious and all grow up !!

And how clever to give treat to yourself, we didn’t even thought of it ! And that way, you can’t go wrong, it’s even better !! Who needs the stupid humans ?

Lots of love.

Echo & Link

27. Dawn says:

Hi Honey! Glad to see you frolicking again. Hsin-Yi I teach 12-14 year olds but would love to help with your book if you need a Canadian opinion. Good luck with the move. :-) Dawn