Autumn Days & a “Wee Sickie”!

Honey+Muesli-sunny-patch

We’ve been having a busy, busy week and I’ve got even MORE many adventures to tell you about (and I haven’t even caught up yet on the old stuff!! :roll: ) - like Hsin-Yi going to a Writers’ Festival (& meeting quokkas!!) and me going to a Winery! ;-) – but actually, the week didn’t start very nicely ‘coz on Tue I suddenly started constantly asking to go outside to wee and drinking lots of water (Hsin-Yi hardly slept that night coz she was outside in the garden with me every 2hrs!). That is a big change in behaviour so my humans got quite worried about me. I was still eating & playing with my stuffies and acting normal otherwise but they thought it was best to check it out.

So off we went to the vet!

Honey-examroom

Paul had a Sneaking Suspicion what the problem was…and the Vet told him that he was right! I had a bladder sickie called Cystitis. Human ladies often get this kind of bladder sickie too. I’ve never had this sickie before, all my life, but I guess there’s a first time for everything! ;-)

Honey-vetexam

Luckily, my humans had remembered to get a sample of my wee to take with us to the vet, so that he could test it.

By the way, remember – a really easy way to get a urine sample from a doggie is to use a soup ladle! ;-) (of course, a separate one kept just for that purpose!). For a small doggie, maybe you could use a deep tablespoon. You can just wait until the doggie is squatting or cocking its leg and then stick the ladle/spoon under. Remember, also, that it’s best to wait a second before you start collecting – you want to catch it “mid-stream” – so that it’s the cleanest from contamination.

Honey-urinetest

Cystitis in doggies is usually caused by bacteria infection but they can sometimes be caused by tumours, bladder stones or other things. But the Vet said it’s best to just treat with Antibiotics for an infection first and see how I go. If I get better, then that’s probably what it was. If I don’t get better after 1 week (they’ll check my urine again), then they’ll start doing more tests like a bladder ultra-sound, for things like tumours, etc.

Honey-vetsignBut hopefully, it’s just a simple infection! In fact, my humans are pretty sure that’s what it is coz as soon as I started the antibiotics – within a 12hrs – I stopped asking to go outside to wee all the time and I wasn’t drinking water anymore. And by the next day, I was all back to normal and just weeing my usual 4 times a day again! :P

Oh, speaking of wee & stuff – some of you might have been wondering how I’m getting on with my Senior Doggie “leaky problem”. Well, I had been having occasional “accidents” on my bed (usually during the night, when I was really relaxed & sleeping) – and my humans had been trying to manage it by taking me out to wee more often, so that my bladder bag wouldn’t get so full.

But I was still having accidents about once a week – so finally my humans followed the Vet’s advice and started me on Doggie HRT! ;-) Yes, because girl doggies who have been spayed don’t have any oestrogen and so their bladder & pelvic floor muscles get flabby – and that’s why they get leaky. But if we get some “hormone replacement treatment” – then it makes those muscles tone up again! So now I get an Oestrogen Tablet once a week. It’s just a very low dose and doesn’t have any side effects.

And it seems to be working! Since I started getting the tablets, I haven’t had a single accident – and it’s been over a month now. So yay! Am not leaky anymore! :-)

It’s Autumn now in Perth (our favourite season!) and we’re having lovely weather most days – sunny but chilly – perfect for walks! We especially love seeing all the beautiful colours as the leaves on the trees turn orange & gold…

Autumn-trees

Honey+Autumn-lakereflections

Honey+Autumn-leaves

Autumn-lakereflections4

Perth-autumn2

Honey+Autumn-trees

Autumn-lakereflections

Honey+Autumn-trees3

Perth-autumn

Honey+Autumn-leaves3

D’you know what’s really weird, though? Well, everyone always says that when you have the Arthritis Sickie, you feel worse when it gets cold and you’ll get more stiff & ouchie and won’t want to move around…well, I have a bit of Arthritis Sickie in my lower spine but I don’t seem to feel worse when the weather gets colder at all!

HY+Honey-funrun5My  humans don’t understand why – I seem to be doing the total opposite of what people say. Because as the weather gets colder (& sometimes damper), I just seem to get bouncier and happier!

I start walking ahead on my walks and can go for longer before I get tired and am very “bouncy” and alert & full of beans. If it’s a bit windy & stormy, I love it even more! In fact, I might even do zoomies!! :P

But my humans are really puzzled ‘coz they keep expecting me to be worse with the colder weather. Sure, I do look stiff when I’m running – my lower spine just doesn’t really move anymore – but I’m quite happy to run & jump around (who cares what I look like?) and I can climb over & under things and get up from lying down and turn around in tight spaces with no problems either. It’s not like I’m more reluctant to do these things – as the weather gets cooler, I’m more happy to move around! It’s weird, isn’t it?

One of my blog friends – who has a similar arthritis sickie in her lower spine – said that her vet told her that it is only ouchie in the beginning but after the bones in the spines have fused, then it becomes like 1 solid thing and then it isn’t ouchie anymore. You just move more stiffly and look a bit funny but you’re not bothered by it. Maybe that’s what’s happened to my spine?

Well, whatever it is – it’s great! :P

Honey+Autumn-lakereflections5

ps. We’ve been having a LOT of problems with my blog lately – I know lots of you have been telling us, via my Facebook page, that you can’t get on (or are getting a 503 Error). I’m so sorry – Hsin-Yi has been sending a MILLION emails back & forth to the Tech Support Humans at our host server and they keep promising us that they’re trying to find the problem and fix it. It’s been going on for weeks now and it’s very frustrating. :-( Anyway, so I’m sorry if you’ve been having trouble getting on to visit me – I hope you won’t mind trying again a bit later if you don’t have any luck the 1st time. Thank you!

pps. OH! OH! OH! Look what the Rental Godmother brought us this week?? ;-)

new stove

* Please remember – don’t worry if your comment disappears after you click ‘Submit’. It’s probably gone into the Spam folder but we will fish it out!

And don’t forget that you can comment with your Facebook account too! :P

Tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Autumn Days & a “Wee Sickie”!

1. Cynthia says:

I love receiving your emails and following Honey’s life adventures. My husband and I have had great danes for over 15 years and absolutely love the breed – so endearing and comical.
    One of our early danes, Ellie, (a beautiful fawn like Honey) had a neurological disorder that she (and us) struggled with for 3 years before we could no longer ask more of her. I always said that if I was going into battle, I would ask for Ellie because of her heart rather than her physical ability, she made every effort to make each day special. We believe she knew that her time was limited (she passed at age of 6) and she was going to pack in as much as possible.
    I tell you this because the pic that has Honey sitting outside of the vet’s office, she is holding her right leg just the same way that I first noticed Ellie’s problem. It took a few months for her condition to become noticeable to others (my husband Jim says that I have “too much connection” to our pets, dogs, cats, fish and frogs). I think I pay close attention to “little things” that clue me in quickly to subtle changes.

Oh thank you so much, Cynthia, for taking the time to write to us! We really appreciate your concern. May I ask what the name of the neurological disorder that Ellie had, so that we could check with the vet next time we see him? I don’t think we need to be too worried, though, coz actually, Honey does occasionally hold her paw like that – and has been doing it for years now. When she was about 2yrs old, she injured her front right paw playing too roughly and now every so often, if she “over-does it” – she will get tendonitis in that paw (and need to go on a course of Rimadyl and “rest” for a couple of weeks). It’s sort of like an “old battle wound” that flares up from time to time. And we’ve noticed that when she’s walked a bit too much or jumped around or just used that paw a bit too strongly/roughly – she will hold it like that when she’s sitting or standing. But the vet has checked it and said it’s nothing serious – just one of those things. A bit like some people who have a weak ankle and twist it easily. So she’s pretty much had this all her life – except that it’s gotten more noticeable as she’s gotten older and tires more easily.
      But you’re right to be careful and to check everything so we will definitely ask the vet again! :-)

Ellie sounds like she was such a beautiful girl. I can imagine how much you must miss her.

2. Mango Momma says:

Raja had to eat special food to help with her bladder. Oh it was so nasty that when I put the leftovers out for the squirrels and crows even they wouldn’t eat it. I finally got her to eat it by adding some chicken broth and stinky fish. It did make a difference and cleared up the bladder crystals. She was also on HRT for her lady leaking. It’s all part of getting more mature.

Mango Momma

Gosh, that food sounds NASTY!! ;-) Thankfully, the vet said I don’t have bladder crystals so it looks like a straightfoward bacteria infection – which the antibiotics should clear up! Yeah, getting mature isn’t a lot of fun, is it? :-)

3. Dawn says:

Hi Honey

Mini used to get bladder infections once she got older. We found that adding vit C and cranberry helped. We also made sure she was on probiotics so the antibiotics do not disrupt normal intestinal flaura ( the good bacteria) We also cleaned Mini’s lady parts with baby wipes 2-3 times a day.

Hope you never get another bladder infection.

Lots of hugs from Canada.

:-)
    Dawn

Thanks, Dawn, for the suggestions! Yes, we’d heard that cranberry juice works great in humans but didn’t realise they’d be good for dogs too! We will certainly look into that. :-) Yes, on the raw diet, it’s often suggested that we add a bit of yoghurt to the dog’s food on a regular basis, to give natural probiotics. :-)

4. sara says:

Oh those infections can be so painful! Glad you are on the mend Honey.

I love Fall! Such a pretty time of year!

5. jet says:

OWOWOW a new oven! better get Hsin Yi cooking Honey:) glad to hear that the vet fixed you up so quickly. Weird that thing about spines fusing… I guess the body is protecting itself and that is good for you! Poor Bender doesn’t like the cold anymore so he has been wearing a coat for the first time ever. His hips get all stiff when he’s cold.

So glad to hear that you’re feeling better, Honey!! It’s no fun having that kind of sickie! And also glad to hear that the HRT has helped with your leaks — I know this is a big relief for Hsin-Yi and Paul :-).

I’m not at all surprised to hear you’ve got more spring in your step now that the weather is nice. Grendel is exactly the same way when it comes to fall and winter and it makes me wonder a bit… I’m starting to think that heat (and humidity!!) are much harder for Danes to deal with than even muscular ouchies. Grendel doesn’t have specific arthritis problems like you, Honey, but he does have some general “creekiness” and that completely goes away when the weather is cool. It’s like he’s a two year-old again. But now that we’re settling in to our awfully hot/humid summers, he HATES going outside and when we do it’s like walking a slug :-P. I wonder what sort of studies have been done on the effects of hot weather on giant breeds……?

Anyway, enjoy that gorgeous Perth autumn! :-)

7. Louise Cocks says:

It’s great that you’re feeling better Honey! Looks like you and Hsin-yi are discovering lots of nice parks. I have a suggestion if you’re up for a small drive – Samson Park, near Fremantle, is lovely for walking. It has a bunch of bush-walk trails as well as big open grass areas for running around. It’s where we have our training classes, so I haven’t been there with my dog Gary yet, (as I’m always working when I’m there!) but one day I hope to make the trip with him. :)

Oh, thank you, Louise, for the recommendation! Yes, Samson Park does look like a great place. Maybe we could check it out together someday? I’d been thinking about you recently and feeling very guilty that I hadn’t been in touch since the Ian Dunbar thing! :-) Would be nice to see if we could meet up sometime.

8. Toni Etim says:

“Honey” so glad your feeling better…. and glad the weather helps you to get around better and let you have fun …. lots of great places to walk and play so you and Hsin-Yi have fun ! like your new oven !

Hugges& kisses
    Zeus& Toni

9. Hello there dear Honey! We are happy to know that you are feeling better and the the sickies are not serious. You sure enjoy the walkies and some zoomies with Hsin-Yi and we love the photos you go there.

Keep having happy days ahead, Honey! We love you lots

Piappies Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Max, Wai-Pai & Forgie

10. April Sawler says:

Hi Honey! I just love reading all about your life and just want you to know that I am so glad the infection is getting better. I am leaky sometimes too just goes with us being girls, keep on trucking Honey!!

It’s great that Paul had an inkling of what was wrong, so you would have the wee sample to take to the vet for diagnosis. And that means you can enjoy your beautiful autumn weather again!

On another note, your new stove is lovely. But best of all, I’m happy to see that Hsin-Yi has at least one bookshelf full of books in your new house! I would be so sad if I couldn’t have my friends the books all around me….

xoxo Marjie and Brutus

Thanks, Marjie – yes, finally we don’t have to cope with that archaic stove anymore! :-) And yes, we would love to be surrounded by shelves of books if we could! But my humans say until we can stop renting and are living in our own house and have good storage space and don’t have to worry about constantly packing up again, then we shouldn’t really get anymore physical books…so Hsin-Yi has mostly been doing all her reading on her Kindle (on her phone)! She’s gotten quite used to that now and enjoys being able to access her “library” of ebooks anytime, anywhere – but she does miss the lovely feel & smell of paper books too!

12. Greta L. Radomski says:

It’s great to hear that your feeling better Honey.!!! I love the new stove Hsin-Yi has it looks alot like the one in my house.

13. Nightshade says:

Autumn is a beautiful season with all those lovely colours! We like to go out on long walks in Autumn, since the days tend to be exactly good in temperature (not too hot and not too chilly). Lovely pictures of you, Honey!
    So sorry to hear about your medical problem… But hopefully everything will be back to normal soon enough and it will turn out to have been nothing more than a bacterial infection!

Slobbery kiss,
    Killian & Ophelia!

14. We are so happy to hear that the antibiotics helped you out, Honey!
    Your autumn pictures are just gorgeous!

Love ya lots♥

15. Sounds like those antibiotics are doing the trick and yes it is quite normal for older lady dogs to get such problems but you were right on top of it. Cranberry juice is also a natural help for any kind of bladder issue – a little mixed in food might be a good preventative.

16. Kim says:

Honey, I hope by the time you read this the antibiotics are having a positive effect and that you’re already feeling better. Getting old ain’t for sissies, is it?

I sure am glad to hear the HRTs are working for you! Good thing you have such great humans who will do what ever they need to to keep you in tip top condition.

Thanks for sharing the autumn pictures…just beautiful!

17. Cynthia says:

I can’t remember Ellie’s diagnosis and we have moved since then, so somewhere in the recesses of the basement are our old records – sorry, if I come across them, I’ll forward it to you.

It sounds like Honey does indeed have residual effects of her early injury. Ellie on the other hand simply started exhibiting a droopy front leg with no injury and over the course of time it developed into necrosis of the muscular system. She was quite a fighter and lived happily with her condition because she had so much love to give. (I think this is why I prefer animals over people – they love unconditionally and it grows exponentially!)

Our best wishes to your family, Cynthia

18. Melody clark says:

I am sorry you are not feeling well…..I can understand for I am sickie now to I think I have arthris it hurts so much to type to do anything I go to my people dr on monday, I am glad you are getting better. You have good people that love you. God bless and best wishes….

19. I wish I had a big window to the sunshine like you and Muesli have. That’s magnificent. I like your autumn photos the colors are beautiful. I’m glad your girlie issues are going well for you. Congratulations to Hsin-Yi on finishing the first draft. I’m sure it will be a success. I think there are a lot more people interested than the publisher realizes. We wish you both the very best.

20. 2browndawgs says:

Beautiful pictures, but the best one is your new range. I need that for our cabin to replace our 1972 model.

21. Sam says:

We hope you are feeling better, Honey. Mom can still try to find you the larger “panties” if you need them – she doesn’t mind! :D

My dear Cisco knew the soup ladle well – her whole life she was sick with something or another. It got where she would get suspicious if she saw a ladle – even if we were having soup for dinner!

22. Jenny, Kadie and the boys says:

What beautiful pictures! We are in the beginning of our Summer here so its late evening walks and sleeping during the day for Kadie and the boys! So glad you are feeling better! Kadie and the boys get super energetic in the cooler weather! Our trainer says the wind gets under their tails! Love the new look on your blog! Sending wags and slobbers,
    Jenny, Kadie and the boys from Alabama